Boat Overhaul

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok guys need some input here. Due to some uncontrollable life situations, I'm unable to buy the new shiny boat this year. It sucks. The good news is I have a boat. We're dealing with a 1980's 19.5ft Openbow Silverline inboard that has less than desirable seats in it, the old laydown style or whatever, I think you know what I'm referring to. So with that said, I'm thinking about switching these out and putting normal pedestal seats in to make it somewhat normal of a boat. The only thing it would be missing then is a livewell. Is this a huge project by any means? Anybody done this? Where can I get the stuff (Minot area)?

Next question.......This sob is heavy, and needs a trolling motor put on front of it. At the current time I have a rear mounted electric unit right on the lower unit. It does not offer up the best boat control once there's a little bit of wind, infact it's terrible. I gotta get this thing to be controllable and comfortable as my back is wrecked. How big and how many volt system should I slap on it for a trolling motor?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think as big as you can afford. 36V is your obvious heavy weight. Longest shaft (hehe) you can get too. Pulling out the seats and replacing with pedestals might ruin some carpeting/flooring but you might be able to get away with drilling new holes, replacing carpet, capping old holes. Or rhino line (or similar) the floor.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't need a livewell unless your fishing no-kill tournaments. I hardly ever use my livewells for anything but storage. Grab a cooler and some ice or freeze a couple of 2 liter bottles of water to keepem cold. As for trolling motor, I wouldn't go less than a 24 volt 80lb.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
yea I agree I think I'd forgo the livewell and buy a nice big yetti/pelican and put ice in it and soon as you catch a keeper, slit it under the jaw to bleed it out then throw it on ice. replacing the carpet is cheap but can be a lot of work. I tore the whole floor out of my prov1900 last spring and replaced it and the carpet. huge job because I had to remove the consoles and carpet those as well. And every hatch lid was carpeted. But man it looks like new.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Due to the need to drain live wells before heading home and the abundance of cleaning stations, live wells aren't as useful as they once were. Iced fish taste better too. I don't see the need for the most expensive ice chests on the market, there are other brands/models with extra thick insulation. Save some $$ for your trolling motor. I'd also use frozen water filled gallon milk jugs for my block ice.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67