Homemade Onion Rings

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I am coming up on our annual fish fry Memorial weekend and need a little help. Each year we have tried to make our own onion rings and typically it turns into a failure. We really struggle to get the batter to stick resulting in less than desirable onion rings along with a fryer full of burnt batter and wasted oil. We have been very successful with our fish, cheese curds, deep fried deer heart, and a few other misc items but for some reason we have never gotten the onion rings figured out. So to my question, does anyone have any secrets to getting the batter to stick to the onion rather than just crumbling apart and ruining the oil in the fryer?

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have killed to have the recipe that Al's in Grand Forks had. Best I've ever had hands down. Sadly, he sold the property and closed the doors. I haven't tried making them myself, but if a good recipe comes along I'll give it a shot.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Al's onion ring dipping sauce went a long ways in making those rings too. I bet I know someone who can get that recipe. I think it's buttermilk soaked, double-dipped and finished with panko.

CALLING TOMMYBOY!!!!!!!

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
We just fried some stuff in the tempura batter that you get from walmart. I added my own seasonings to help spice it up a bit. I was able to batter and fry fish, cut up leftover brats and pickles(the devils spit ones from famous daves..yummy). The trick for all of that was to make sure to use cold water in the batter and make sure that nothing was wet when dipping it in the batter. I still got some drippings in the grease but not too bad. Don't see why this technique wouldn't work for rings...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Freeze your rings before you fry, helps keep the batter on the onion

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
we just fried some stuff in the tempura batter that you get from walmart. I added my own seasonings to help spice it up a bit. I was able to batter and fry fish, cut up leftover brats and pickles(the devils spit ones from famous daves..yummy). The trick for all of that was to make sure to use cold water in the batter and make sure that nothing was wet when dipping it in the batter. I still got some drippings in the grease but not too bad. Don't see why this technique wouldn't work for rings...

Take back! Take back your evil thing!

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wen it comes to batter, wet doesn't to stick to wet and dry doesn't stick to dry. Had the same problem as you. Watched Diners, Drive in, and Dives once and the guy talked about this. Never use freshly sliced onions. Slice them the night before and refrigerate. I have sliced them and set them out for just a couple hours on paper towels and that even helped a bunch.

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is an onion ring recipe I got from a good friend of mine, I have not tried it but trust this persons cooking/recipe advice.

- 3 large sweet onions
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. Mrs. Dash Original Blend
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash Southwest & Chipotle
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Water
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
Mix flour and all dry ingredients together. Add enough water to create a "pancake" consistency batter. Add panko and mix. Dip onion slices in and drop into deep fryer. Fry till brown. Salt immediately after removing from fryer.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the recipe !!

Vollmer can we make an area for recipes ?? Favorite recipe for walleye ??

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Al's onion ring dipping sauce went a long ways in making those rings too. I bet I know someone who can get that recipe. I think it's buttermilk soaked, double-dipped and finished with panko.

CALLING TOMMYBOY!!!!!!!

I wish I could get that recipe. I have tried but have been denied every time. Im thinking one of the cooks will take those recipes and open a new restaurant. They have the best onion rings I have ever had by a long shot. Then the cheesy hashbrown soup is a close second. Man, I will miss that place!

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://noblepig.com/2013/02/buttermilk-pancake-batter-onion-rings-with-wasabi-garlic-mayo Here is a onion ring recipe where you get your buttermilk, panko and dipping sauce.

http://noblepig.com/2013/02/buttermilk-pancake-batter-onion-rings-with-wasabi-garlic-mayo

Buttermilk Pancake Batter Onion Rings with Wasabi-Garlic Mayo

Ingredients

For the onion rings:

• 2 colossal sweet onions, sliced into rings
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1 box cornbread mix (same size to make 8 x 8 pan)

• 2 cups dry pancake mix (mixed with 2 cups water)
  • frying oil
For the Wasabi-Garlic Mayo:

• 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice

• 1 teaspoon wasabi powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Directions

• As you slice your onion rings toss them into a large bowl with buttermilk and let them soak. Using a shaker (like one you would normally use for Parmesan cheese) sprinkle the cornbread mix onto each onion ring and then dip into the wet pancake batter. (If for whatever reason your pancake batter is to runny or too thick, you can always add more mix or more water to thicken or thin.) Place the onion rings on a tray, side by side until all rings have been battered.
  • Preheat 2-inches of frying oil to 350 degrees F. Drop several onion rings in at a time, making sure they are not touching. Fry on one side until brown and then flip over with tongs. They take about a minute to cook.
  • Place onion rings on a paper-towel lined tray until all onion rings have been fried.
  • To make Wasabi-Garlic Mayo, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Let sit for an hour in the fridge, allowing flavors to meld.
  • Serve onion rings immediately with dipping sauce.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
try just coating the onions with corn starch first, will help the batter stick to the onion

Yep, cornstarch or flour or whatever dredge before you batter. This is also a good time to throw some seasoning in, many spices do not handle frying very well and the closer you get them to the product the less chance they will get wiped out in the batter/breading. Also a good practice for those who make fried chicken at home.

- - - Updated - - -

So I am coming up on our annual fish fry Memorial weekend and need a little help. Each year we have tried to make our own onion rings and typically it turns into a failure. We really struggle to get the batter to stick resulting in less than desirable onion rings along with a fryer full of burnt batter and wasted oil. We have been very successful with our fish, cheese curds, deep fried deer heart, and a few other misc items but for some reason we have never gotten the onion rings figured out. So to my question, does anyone have any secrets to getting the batter to stick to the onion rather than just crumbling apart and ruining the oil in the fryer?

Oh man that's gotta be good!

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree on the dredge in flour/cornstarch first then into an egg wash and into panko crumbs. Like the poster above, season the flour well!

Last edited:

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had some luck with Concord Foods Onion Ring Batter. It seems to stick better than others I have tried. In my store it is in the produce section. It is also the time of year that Sweet Vidalia Onions are available.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56