40-50 lb Walleye?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator

Ron Lindner

40 and 50lb.WALLEYE:? ? ?- Well according to Genio.C.Scott who in 1875 in his 543 page consummate book titled "Fishing in American Waters" didn't give the Walleye (he called them Glass-Eyed Pike) much copy. He alluded to them as great eating and more of a commercial fishing target then a Game Fish. Interestingly however he mentions a Dr. Buel (a noted angler of the time) as catching a 50lb. specimen in the Kentucky River.--as well as other 40lb. class walleye being caught in other places.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught a 12lb perch this summer out of a fishing pond in Fargo thing fought like crazy. Phone was dead so didn't get a picture of it before I used it for mushky bait.

- - - Updated - - -

Pickled mushky is much better eating than perch. ;:;popcorn

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
pickled mushky makes great catfish bait on the little mo by medora.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope he released it.
That's why we need slot limits

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

I AGREE!!! EVERY WALLEYE under 10 inches and over 30 lbs must be IMMEDIATELY released.

I would love to see ND impose a slot limit. I like state wide slots, so you dont have to remember every little rule. I would like to see fish over 14" and up to 24" be kept with one over 28" per limit.

Last edited:

sourisshorebound

Founding Member
Founding Member
I AGREE!!! EVERY WALLEYE under 10 inches and over 30 lbs must be IMMEDIATELY released.

so if I catch a 31 lb walleye I should have to release it instead of having it weighed on a certified scale and breaking the north dakota record (by a LOT)?? :/ idk if i really agree with that, I understand taking large numbers of the main breeders out of a body of water can be detrimental to a fish population but making it illegal to take home just ONE trophy fish seems a little tyrannical?

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to see ND impose a slot limit. I like state wide slots, so you dont have to remember every little rule. I would like to see fish over 14" and up to 24" be kept with one over 28" per limit.

I got KDM's sarcasm. If you (Sub Elect) were kidding too, then I mis-read your post. I guess I don't often have troubles with catching too-big fish, but how can having a minimum and a maximum size limit, and having a trophy limit, be less rules?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
some guys are chubby chasers and laws denying that seem unfair..

#fatchicksneedlovingtoo

#slotlimitsarethefatchicksofthefishworld

#walleyelivesmatter

sourisshorebound

Founding Member
Founding Member
my bad if that was sarcasm and i didnt pick up on it.. I mean what he said didnt seem THAT unreasonable.. a 30lb walleye would be a crazy fish to have at home on the wall!!! think it would be pretty hard to convince anyone that saw it it was a walleye and not a zander

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
my bad if that was sarcasm and i didnt pick up on it.. I mean what he said didnt seem THAT unreasonable.. a 30lb walleye would be a crazy fish to have at home on the wall!!! think it would be pretty hard to convince anyone that saw it it was a walleye and not a zander

It would be the world record by a good margin. I believe he set the top mark as unattainable as so to provoke humor.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. If I caught a 30lb walleye I would have it enshrined within a box of bulletproof glass and have a custom bed made so I could sleep next to it.:cool: I'm sure the wife wouldn't mind.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm actually NOT in favor of slot limits. Especially in any open type body of water such as a river, reservior, or canal. On small bodies of water like they have in MN, there may be a place for them, but the science to support them is not very solid IMO. Anyone catching a 30 lb walleye would be immediately and forever enshrined in every fishing hall of fame, cover of every outdoor magazine, and have to almost go into hiding to avoid the gagillion envious fishermen with 30 questions each concerning every nitnoid detail of the catch and every lure, presentation, location, and thought you ever had on walleye fishing. Releasing it might actually be the easier choice, but I think I would still keep it.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I DO like the idea of a slot. I maybe wasn't clear, I would like people to be able to keep fish between 14 and 24", one of which can be over 28". I posted the pic because it is an impressive fish, although it is a zander. A 30lb eye would clearly be over 28" and would infact be on my wall!

- - - Updated - - -

I got KDM's sarcasm. If you (Sub Elect) were kidding too, then I mis-read your post. I guess I don't often have troubles with catching too-big fish, but how can having a minimum and a maximum size limit, and having a trophy limit, be less rules?

I guess as far as the "rules" I was refering to is to have a slot on the east end of Sak, none on the middle part, and be only able to keep 3 on the west end. On Oahe you can keep 8, but 4 have to be under 17" and the others, any size. On Audobon you can keep anything until the date of XX/XX/XXXX but after that you can only keep 2 ect. Anyone that lives in the God forsaken MN or SD or that has fished out of the state of ND has jumped through these hoops.

By imposing a slot, alot of the little sloughs that get pounded by the locals, when the fish get over 10" would have a chance to develope. And, on good years on Oahe it would keep people from knifing the 25 to 27" fish that make up a large section of breeder fish.

I dont mean to bash anyone, I just think it would help the fishery in ND.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note (and your just going to have to trust me here) I have caught somewhere between 500 and 700 eyes this year. I currently have maybe 20 eyes in my freezer, and have not had over 30 in there. I love to catch fish, I am not a meat whore that keeps everything. I believe if you can catch and eat that many walleyes than go ahead, but I dont. I catch a fair number of walleyes to eat and throw the rest back. I would love to come in and say everything I caught was to big to clean, but since I usually catch dinks I clean what I can eat before they go bad, then restock the freezer.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The NDGF reported in ND Outdoors that a slot was "innapropriate" for Devils lake earlier this year. They also reported that the average 20 inch walleye is 6 years on Devils lake. #oxymoron

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty much all walleye are stocked in Sak, the reproduction naturally is minimal, in fact the use devils lake as the primary egg source. Or so I have been told.

The lake can rise and fall several feet in a 10 day period, the forage was more of a problem these last few years than the spawn.
Now we have so much forage the walleyes are not biting because they are full...haha

Give it a couple years and we will have some 30#rs hanging on our walls.:;:rockit

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was the first time on Sak I have seen walleyes over #8 weighed in at the DWC. They sure looked nice coming to the scales.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
John R who is filling you full of all this crap haha?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you imagine the cheeks on a 30#er!! :;:stirthepotThey would be a meal all by themselves. :;:smokin

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66