Advice on Brittany Pups

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been waiting for the right time to get a pup again. I have a big yard, my kid is now 3, so I figure it's time. I've always wanted a Brittany. Is there anyone in the region that you guys would recommend. I would prefer to get one this fall so I can expose it to the field in hopes it would hunt by next year which I think is realistic.

Im just out of the loop in the dog world, so any recommendations would be much appreciated.

ejolliffe

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a French Brittany that I got from Minnesota that is an absolute beast in the field and wonderful house dog. He is high energy but with a five year old and nine year old it works out beautifully. Very high stamina while hunting as long as he has water and a break here and there he'll go all day long.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm actually looking at the French Brittany's quite a bit. Did you get yours from a Kennel?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My imploring advice is to have a good training collar and know how to use it properly before you get the pup.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
30 years ago I had a purebred American Brittany. If you get one of them, you'll fall in love with its disposition. However, if ours wasn't walked three times/day to an open field where he could run loose, he'd become so restless he was a pain. The field trial breeding made him hyperactive.
The French (real Brittany) should be easier to keep. When I last looked them up, they were a bit pricey.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
My imploring advice is to have a good training collar and know how to use it properly before you get the pup.

Yeah I've trained a German Shorthair and several English Pointers, so I'm not new to dogs with a lot of energy or shock collars. I'm a big fan of Tri Tronics and own a very good collar. I just had to give my last dog up to a friend because I lived in town for a few years and struggled to find time to utilize my Shorthair and felt bad for her. Now I live in the country again and have time to work a dog.

- - - Updated - - -

30 years ago I had a purebred American Brittany. If you get one of them, you'll fall in love with its disposition. However, if ours wasn't walked three times/day to an open field where he could run loose, he'd become so restless he was a pain. The field trial breeding made him hyperactive.
The French (real Brittany) should be easier to keep. When I last looked them up, they were a bit pricey.

You're right, they're not cheap. From what I've read, and the kennels I have spoke with so far, they sound like a good dog for the type of ground I hunt the most. I'll probably pick up a second dog of a different breed at some point as well. My son is ready for some pets, and I'm ready for a hunting buddy again.

Jake G

Founding Member
Founding Member
norris.jpg
I'd look into the montana brittany lines. Mine was out of Nolan's last bullet. Google him and you can see the field trial and hunting lines they come from. Very good hunters and even better family dogs.

- - - Updated - - -

My uncle had a french brittany and she's a great little dog. She is just so little though! Maybe 25 lbs soaking wet!

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
hqdefault.jpg
I'd look into the montana brittany lines. Mine was out of Nolan's last bullet. Google him and you can see the field trial and hunting lines they come from. Very good hunters and even better family dogs.

- - - Updated - - -

My uncle had a french brittany and she's a great little dog. She is just so little though! Maybe 25 lbs soaking wet!

Thanks Jake, I'll look into them. The French are slightly smaller, but in talking with the kennels, they have several blood lines with different size and build. For me, they recommended a pup from one of their larger blood lines. The females would be between 30-35 pounds.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Recently the Bismarck Tribune had an add for Brittany pups with Nolan's Last Bullet bloodlines. I was unable to find it today. I did find an add from the Star-Tribune website.
AKC Born 7/22. Males $400. 1 F $800. Ch. Pedigree. Excellent hunters,companions. Shots, dews, wormed, tails. Dad OFA'd. 320-287-0221; 320-589-4813Contact: 320-287-0221

Give this lady a call.

Lisa Hedstrom
625 2nd St N
Wilton, North Dakota 58579
[h=5]Breeding quality gun dogs for over 9 years.[/h]701-734-6957
701-471-7885

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Recently the Bismarck Tribune had an add for Brittany pups with Nolan's Last Bullet bloodlines. I was unable to find it today. I did find an add from the Star-Tribune website.
AKC Born 7/22. Males $400. 1 F $800. Ch. Pedigree. Excellent hunters,companions. Shots, dews, wormed, tails. Dad OFA'd. 320-287-0221; 320-589-4813Contact: 320-287-0221

Give this lady a call.

Lisa Hedstrom
625 2nd St N
Wilton, North Dakota 58579
Breeding quality gun dogs for over 9 years.

701-734-6957
701-471-7885

i looked at them a little too, thanks for that. I'm still considering getting two, so maybe this is my second.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am no dog expert but I would question the timing of when you want to purchase. We got a English Springer Spaniel pup that was born in early Feb. We have had her since 8 weeks. She will be 7 months old this week. She can be a wild little girl at times but the plan is to have her out hunting this fall at 8 months. I do have a 10yr old male springer as well. Besides the e-collar, I plan to use a 50ft check cord. Get her used to the whistle and not roaming too far. Seemed to work with my previous dogs although year 1 can be a lesson in patience. Then again..ya can't get to year 2 if you don't go thru year 1.
That is my only thought on your getting this fall...way too young for this year...then again..should be good to go next season.
What do I know??? heck.. go for it. You only live once. I am sure you will be fine. :;:thumbsup

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've hunted over brittany's quite a bit and they are fantastic dogs. I'm still buttering the wife up in hopes of her letting me get a dog. I have a spot picked out for a kennel and doggy door on the garage. She thinks I'll bring it in the house. She is correct.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am no dog expert but I would question the timing of when you want to purchase. We got a English Springer Spaniel pup that was born in early Feb. We have had her since 8 weeks. She will be 7 months old this week. She can be a wild little girl at times but the plan is to have her out hunting this fall at 8 months. I do have a 10yr old male springer as well. Besides the e-collar, I plan to use a 50ft check cord. Get her used to the whistle and not roaming too far. Seemed to work with my previous dogs although year 1 can be a lesson in patience. Then again..ya can't get to year 2 if you don't go thru year 1.
That is my only thought on your getting this fall...way too young for this year...then again..should be good to go next season.
What do I know??? heck.. go for it. You only live once. I am sure you will be fine. :;:thumbsup

Yep, I have no intent on getting the pup into it too hard, but I would take it along and let her make some short runs with the understanding it's a puppy and will most likely run over the first few birds it comes across. In my experience, it's all about letting them see birds and understanding the concept. I would not dream of running a pup without a rope. And yeah, basically I'm saying if I get a pup right now, I understand it won't be real useful for a year. For the most part, they make puppy mistakes the first several years. Just part of the process.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67