cottonwood park pond?

silentbob

Founding Member
Founding Member
hey guys, recently moved very close to the cottonwood park pond in south bismarck. My little brothers (6 and 8) love to fish but we never get the chance to when my family visits because it does take some time to get set up on the river and i would like to just take them to a place where we can just set out a bobber and let them have fun. i was wondering if this place is worth the time? i see trout are stocked in here but have never fished it to be certain. took a walk around it and the main part by the pier looks nice but the rest is shallow weedy water. also what is it like for access during ice season? but that may not matter if the fishing sucks lol thanks in advanced

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe there is no winter access allowed, have fished it with kids after ice out early in the year, was so so. A better option for you would be crown butte dam on just west of Mandan, lots of panfish action with some trout, may even get some nice keepers to eat. Only about a 15 minute drive, nice shore access.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I take my sons to the owls pond. You. Cannot keep any fish you catch but we've caught crappie bluegill and trout. Some of the crappies are slabs. Never measured but big fish.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never heard of owls pond, where is that located?

Right behind the game and fish headquarters. You park in the parking lot and there's like little nature trails and maybe a 200 yard walk to the pond. You can fish from shore or there's a bridge down the middle. Like I said it's stocked annually and I beleive the fish prolly winter kill though I can't confirm that. I fished it several times early and my 2 year old had a blast reeled a few fish in. I haven't fished it lately so have no idea how it is. Also McDowell dam east of Bismarck on hwy 10 is a constant bluegill hole but the shorelines do weed in quickly. There is 2 fishing piers there as well as shelters, beach, paddle boat, kayak rentals etc. you can drop a boat in it but cannot use big motor. It's funny I have seen 30k ranger boats fishing it I'm assuming for the big bass.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have lived just north of Cottonwood Park Pond for about 3 years now. It's weedy in the summer, but spring is fun for the kiddos. I've only fished off the dock, but bobber fishing for pike with my two little girls is a blast. G & F dumped a LOAD of adult pike in there this past (2015) spring, so I gotta believe the panfish have suffered, but it's a fun, nearby place to take kids on a quick trip.

Last spring, while it was still chilly, we fished with frozen smelt and bobbers, and did well. My girls loved it!!

Cottonwood Pike 2.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 153
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86