Open Face Spin Cast or Bait Cast Reels

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who has what and why?
I've always used Open Face Spin Cast for everything, is that good or bad?
And how many of you got a Zebco 202 for your first ever rod and reel, I know I did...as a gift....lol

Just debating if I should have a bait Cast rod and reel in my arsenal.
Ready....GO:cool:

I have a Pfueger reel on a G.Loomis Rod
A Diawa reel on a Diawa Rod
A Shakespeare Reel on a Ugly Stick
AND.....a zebco 202 on zebco.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Almost all my rods have spinning reels. Yes, I grew up with Zebco's too, but quickly graduated to spinning. I have one baitcaster I use for trolling and a bunch with line counters for cranking. Why don't I use a baitcaster to pitch and really at all? If it's not broke don't fix it... I have no problems with my spinning reels. No real issue with line twist and I get plenty of distance and accuracy for my liking. The few times I've used friends baitcasters, I had birds nests.....so why fight it is my thing.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer baitcasters for trolling and spin casters for everything else. I have some of each at all times cuz you never know who you're gonna have on the boat and what they want to use. Yep, first rod was a zebco :)

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Zebci 1st! All spincast. I honestly don't understand the advantages of a baitcast.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If casting jigs, I use spinning gear. If casting anything else, I use baitcasters. Lots less effort, better accuracy. Less fatigue on a marathon casting day.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up on bantams and millionaires. I fished bass primarily and still to this day i cannot cast a spinning reel decent. Anyway spinning for finess and jigs and nait casters for everything else

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought my first baitcaster and after two casts my reel threw up. It was bad and I am ashamed. I think I'll just use it for trolling...:(

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Primarily spin cast here bit I do enjoy a nice bait caster as well. So, am I the only one who reels with there left hand using a spin cast and right hand using a bait caster? Weird I tell ya...

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Primarily spin cast here bit I do enjoy a nice bait caster as well. So, am I the only one who reels with there left hand using a spin cast and right hand using a bait caster? Weird I tell ya...

I use my left hand to reel my spin cast so I figured I would do the same with my bait cast...maybe that's my problem?

- - - Updated - - -

I write left with my left hand and do almost everything else with my right.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have about 6 pfluger bait casters on 6-7' med fast rods for pulling rigs... i use these 99% of the time... i will let out line until i have the bottom contact i want, then thumb the spool without locking it... if i move shallower, i will reel up line, but then out of habit, will click the button and thumb the spool again... this lets me release more line for short biters while running the i-pilot with the other hand, and gives me adjustable drag (thumb pressure) for bigger or running fish... this lets me get good hook sets, depending on weight, and leaves the drag set for bigger fish...

i will underhand pitch with them (bc's) up to 20', but nothing over that, and never try to cast... only time i use spinning reels is deep water jigging and casting to shore this time of year...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use my left hand to reel my spin cast so I figured I would do the same with my bait cast...maybe that's my problem?

Did your reel puke upon the cast or the retrieve? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it ain't your reelin' hand causing trouble.

Educate your thumb with the wind @ your back and then refine.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did your reel puke upon the cast or the retrieve? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it ain't your reelin' hand causing trouble.

Educate your thumb with the wind @ your back and then refine.

It was on the cast. But I thought maybe my right hand's thumb might not have the finesse that my left hand's thumb? It's definitely gonna take some practice fo sho!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let's clarify reels:

Spincast = push button zebco 202, ect. type reels typically on the top side of the rod.

Spinning = open face reels typically with a "bail" on the underside of the rod.

Under spin = a spincast type reel that is mounted on the under side of a rod that typically has a "trigger".

Baitcast = mounted on the top of the rod and can create a real nasty backlash for the inattentive.

That said, I use spinning equipment for most applications. Baitcaster for bottom bouncing, still river fishing, and sometimes trolling.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up trolling bouncers with baitcasters. That's all my dad ever used. I started buying spin cast reels in HS when I started fishing with others and learning to drift lindys and jig. Now I use baitcasters for trolling, line counters for cranks, and spin cast for jigs, lindys, and shore fishing. I switch all my spincast reels to real with my right hand. Since I use power pro line on everything, I have, and will on occasion put a bottom bouncer on my spinning rod. I think pulling trees off the bottom has ruined some of the Shimano reels. They just aren't made for heavy snags IMO. The last spin cast reels I've purchased are Phleuger, but I'm going to be nicer to those. Not be lazy and throw a crank or bouncer on it because I don't wanna bring another rod, or tie a knot.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I say spin cast I guess I mean Spinning reel. I don't use the push button reels. I had one when I was 6, just to play with.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76