Gun and ammo storage

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wondering how everyone store their guns and ammo? Right now I own one 22 pistol and 100 rounds of ammo. But I plan on buying a few more shortly. Looking for bulk ammo ideas. Also looking for gun storage for 1 - 150 guns. Figure if I plan big then I will be ready for anything.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
72 degrees at 50% humidity for guns is ideal if you have any wood present. If no wood, go dryer if you like. Rust has a hard time starting or spreading under 65% humidity (unless salt is present). You can't store ammo too dry in my opinion, but my ammo sits at about 70 degrees 52% humidity.

i dunno, I don't clean guns and do store a fair amount, most get a dusting of rem oil after use, in and out, then back to the golden Rod safe at 72 degrees 48% humidity.

I dont have rust issues.

bulk storage for me would be multiple 48-60 gun fireproof safes (never try and get the advertised quantity in them) Not a fan off all eggs in one basket.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Military ammo cans with good rubber seals yet and a good desiccant will keep ammo good for over 50 years. They issued 5.56 ammo manufactured in the 60's to us in Afghanistan. Worked as advertised. Gun storage is just like previously posted. Have fun adding to your stable.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
a lot of my bulk storage ammo is in military ammo cans, with good seals

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only own around 20 guns, other than a couple hand guns that are kept conveniently located, all of my guns and ammo are in the Scheels safe in my basement. I have a dehumidifier in the basement and one of those safe rod thingamajigs, never had a bad round or rusty gun yet.
I am not one to put a bunch of extra time into the care of my guns, once a year after the season they get a bit of cleaning and some oil on the outside before being put back into the safe for the next season.

I suggest the same as has been said.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just keep my ammo in metal military ammo cans. Seems to work. As far as guns come, I simply keep them in soft cases with a coating of Rem oil on them.

eyecatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wondering how everyone store their guns and ammo? Right now I own one 22 pistol and 100 rounds of ammo. But I plan on buying a few more shortly. Looking for bulk ammo ideas. Also looking for gun storage for 1 - 150 guns. Figure if I plan big then I will be ready for anything.

You can store them in my basement.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67