Vexilar Proview vs. TriBeam???

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The points toward the end of this long video makes no sense to me. The only way to adjust the Probeam's cone angle is to adjust the gain?.... but you should always fish with just enough gain to "green your bait". Well that means you can't have your cake and eat it too.

My standard and dual beam's have always worked great and I fully understand transducers, beam angles, etc. so it's not that I don't understand the process - what I don't understand is the logic behind the ProBeam.

What doesn't make any sense is that with the ProBeam you are stuck with the angle and gain lock-stepped together - not able to adjust either independently.

This makes zero sense to me. Why is that a good thing?

He also claims toward the end that TriBeam is "simpler" and the ProBeam allows the maximum flexibility for those that like to tweak buttons. Say WHAT? :;:huh

Am I misunderstanding what he's trying to say?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've watched that video before and I find it as clear as mud. I would think you would want the cone angle wide on no or low gain and narrow on high gain for deep water. Tom Zenenko needs to do less crack.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd get a tri-beam to try but it seems monstrous (wouldn't fit in my molded case)

Wish they still made dual beams.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I couldnt finish watching. It is shocking how horrid his videos are. He will drive guys away from vexilar.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've worked around ultrasonics for over a decade, and how he explains the proview makes absolutely no sense, nor does it operate how he explains it IMO. I've used the proview for two seasons now, and I'm not sold. If your fishing 10-20 foot of water, it performs fine. If your shallower or deeper, I don't like it. I seen they put Tri beams back on the market even though last year they said they were going to quit making them since the proview makes them worthless. They must be eating those words. If someone asks me, I will push them the route of the Tri beam every time.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
There was a gentleman on FBO that had a tri beam with what looked like a pro view ducer. Does anyone see the picture to?
http://www.fishingbuddy.com/new-transducer

Here's the link

well what the heck??? I thought tri-beam has three crystals in an array and you select one with the switch - and the Pro has one big crystal and the "cone" is adjusted using gain knob.

So how on earth do they make a Pro (single large crystal) with a switch in three positions??? Those switches simply control gain instead of switching to physically separate crystals?

ARRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
well what the heck??? I thought tri-beam has three crystals in an array and you select one with the switch - and the Pro has one big crystal and the "cone" is adjusted using gain knob.

So how on earth do they make a Pro (single large crystal) with a switch in three positions??? Those switches simply control gain instead of switching to physically separate crystals?

ARRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!

Let's wait for Johnr to chime in, I am pretty sure he has the answer or if not we can buy a Yeti cooler, raccoon, and valve stem tool.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even with the old Vexilars and single beam transducers you could "widen the cone" angle by cranking the gain, meaning you could see more off to the side than when your gain was set a minimal. There would be a ton of interference, but you could see a wider circle. I think what the new Vex does with proview is the same, except they made some software adjustments that keep the interference and the size of your returns to be the same size regardless of the amount of gain.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even with the old Vexilars and single beam transducers you could "widen the cone" angle by cranking the gain, meaning you could see more off to the side than when your gain was set a minimal. There would be a ton of interference, but you could see a wider circle. I think what the new Vex does with proview is the same, except they made some software adjustments that keep the interference and the size of your returns to be the same size regardless of the amount of gain.

That is the claim, but it just isn't true. If your in 7 fow and want to widen your cone, you crank the gain and all you see is clutter. The only option then is to go to the low power mode and you can widen it that way, but then you are running over half gain just to see you bait at times. It's not great....

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are right guywhofishes..If the gentleman in the video had to explain sex ed to kids we would be in trouble!:::. I have the tri beam on my FL20 which I love. Had it about 3 seasons now. For me anyway..i GENERALLY use the middle switch position...12 degree I believe. 8 degree does a fairly nice job with a narrower cone when other locators are near by.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep - it appears that my fears are realized - the Pro is, in fact, built a$$ backwards (and after a winter's use and all your feedback it appears it is).

Normally when a guy fishes deep (30-40) he wants narrow cone (to avoid "seeing" fish that are not truly close to your lure AND to avoid your neighbor's lure, etc.). At the same time you usually will need to gain-up... to respond to the deeper lure (because it is relatively "smaller" with respect to the cone area being sensed). But the Pro does the opposite - it widens the cone when you turn up gain to see that "smaller" target lure.

Alternatively, when shallow you set gain WAY DOWN and normally would want a wide cone (if not in weeds) because a wide cone captures what is just a few feet away from your lure - max. And your lure makes up a pretty big part of your cone so it reflects a nice big signal. But the Pro does the opposite and narrows itself under low gain- like it or not.

;:;banghead

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder how one of the 360 view transducers would work for ice fishing?

What I really wonder is how far away it could be used as untenable interference producing 'Sconi repellant in a 30'+ perch hole?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder how one of the 360 view transducers would work for ice fishing?

What I really wonder is how far away it could be used as untenable interference producing 'Sconi repellant in a 30'+ perch hole?

haha..not sure about 'sconi repellant but I bought one of these cfish units for the better half for Christmas last year(I know..what a guy!) Jury is still out...in stained water it sucks..otherwise...not too bad. Would I buy again?? probably, as you can never have too much stuff!!
http://cfish.com/underwater_fishing_camera_viewer_R1.html

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
3R, not a camera, 360 HD imaging for a fish finder:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a bunch more new fancy shit I cant understand to waste some cash on.

I just figured out my VHS player and now you cant even get videos for it anymore...:mad:

In all honesty while my buddy is effing around with his $5000 in fishing electronics I am already icing wally's.
Sometimes the simple life is the most rewarding.
I have shot many a yote prior to scents, e-calls, and high tech camo. Fathered a slew of kids without loading em up on ADHD medicine, and can start a campfire without colored scented fire starting logs... haha crazy high tech bastages

ice head

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love the pro ducer, had the tri beam on my 22nd ended
up falling out of the pickup and broke. Bought the pro view to replace it and couldn't be happier.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75