hotspots on labs

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an aging Lab (12yrs) it seems she has some irritation on both of her front shoulder blades, her hips are pretty bad and she has trouble scratching, however it appears she is rubbing the fur off down to her skin, it looks like there may be small lesions however I think it is from the inefficient scratching…anyways trying to avoid costly vet visit, per the interweb it seems like she might have hotspots, however not nearly severe as some of the images(do not google hotspot images after lunch)…it seems most of the research I have done points to cleaning area with hydrogen peroxide…just wondering what’s everybody’s thoughts or experiences with something of this nature…

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll second the food or allergy issue. May even be the same food as always but there could have been additions to the food that cause the reaction. I have had several labs and years ago, I always had to clean ears due to yeasty build up, was told that's normal for labs due to the large flappy ears and such. After switching vets for a different reason, my new vet said absolutely not, food allergies. Switched foods several times before finding 2 that'll work for mine and I haven't cleaned they're ears in 3+ years, spotless!! During the trial and error, my female, that is pretty much allergic to all protein except fish, broke out in hot spots a couple different times. Not the cheapest food by any means but if you have dogs with food allergies, I strongly recommend canine caviar. The eat half as much due to the calorie count, high protein and fat levels, keeps the "waste" way down too, when all are considered it's about a wash as far as price comparison to many foods out there. Just my 2 cents.

muddy11

Founding Member
Founding Member
My lab get's hot spots every summer, she has a thyroid condition that make her susceptible. About $80 for the vet visit and skin swab, $5 for the antibiotics. If it's bacterial or fungal no topical treatment works, the dog licks it right off. Also, if it is a hot spot and not an allergy irritation the dog will smell.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
hot spots can be bad. I have only had problems in the summer heat and the dog Is in the water a lot. the food allergry is real also. any food that Is dyed can be a problem. I had problems one time my mom had colored dog bones, dogs broke out with sores and ear gunk

Last edited:

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Food. My golden retriever had the same issue about 5-6 years ago and the vet told me to try Nutro food and it didn't take long for her bare spots in her coat to start filling in and I haven't had an issues since. Coincidence maybe. And yes $50 for 35lbs of dog food is kind of steep but well worth it for a happy dog I guess.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76