Winchester SX3/ Shotgun sale?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to buy one this week. The ol' Franchi warhorse just isn't cutting it. Does anyone recall if/when Scheels runs a sale on SX3s this time of year?

Anyone care to talk me into a different 3.5" 12ga?

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Versamax sportsman is what I have. If you have shot an 870 before and liked how it shouldered the versamax is identical in my mind. It is a bit heavy to lug around upland and pheasant hunting but it doesn't bother me any

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got a sx3 been a great gun. Shoots smooth and has cycled everything I have run threw it.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would get some kind of Remington 870 3.5." I have never had any troubles with any 870.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not that SX3 is bad... It's just that "fit" is a key thing with shotguns and the M2 might fit better.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I loved the way my versa max shouldered in the store but haven't yet been able to get a full box of shells threw it before it broke I've sent it in 4 times so far different problem every time just my experience maybe there better this year

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only issue I have had with my versamax was losing my charging handle. It was my fault as it got caught in my game vest. Was going to put on an after market one anyway so it wasn't a big deal since I took the one outta my backup m2 and was able to use the versa max for the rest of the weekend

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shoot an M2 before you buy.

I'm inclined to agree. I took that short little 20g beretta out for doves this weekend and I'm in love. Only thing it's missing is a raised rib. I don't believe the M2 comes in 3.5" so I'd have to look at a Super Black Eagle II. My only hesitation with a Benelli is the added recoil from the inertia system vs a gas system.

Anybody with a 3.5" SX3 or Benelli have problems with cheap 2.75" practice loads? Winchester white box seems to cause problems of some sort in both shotguns I've tried it in (12g Franchi 912 & 20g Beretta 391). Cheap federal blue box run 100% so I think it's just the WWW Walmart loads.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
that additional marginal improvement in % chance of downing game doesn't seem worth the recoil or $$$ of 3.5"

but then again, I'm just not gonzo about the kill as I was when younger

I was scratching for every advantage I could rationalize at your age so I'd have likely been shooting 3.5s then if I could have when they came out... Late 80s?

- - - Updated - - -

Go shoot a round of skeet with 3.5s, then decide if it's a desirable feature. :D

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go shoot a round of skeet with 3.5s, then decide if it's a desirable feature. :D

Go bounce BBs off a 20 lb Canada with 3" and tell me if it's desirable. :-D

Stopped at Scheels to chat with a sales guy. Even on sale they're not within $100 of what I'd pay online. I don't mind spending money at Scheels, it's the kick in the nuts I don't care for. Guy told me the 3.5" black SX3 would have to be ordered and cost me $1235 out the door. I pointed out that I could order it myself and have it shipped to an FFL and pay $848 out the door. He said they can't even get it at that price. Maybe I'll buy two and sell one to Scheels.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha! Just ordered online from KYGunCo and now it's showing out of stock. I got the last one! Muahahahaha!

http://www.kygunco.com/mobile/products.cfm/id/66249/name/winchester-rifles

Now, anybody with an SX3 wanna trade your 26" bbl for my 28" bbl?

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go bounce BBs off a 20 lb Canada with 3" and tell me if it's desirable. :-D

Stopped at Scheels to chat with a sales guy. Even on sale they're not within $100 of what I'd pay online. I don't mind spending money at Scheels, it's the kick in the nuts I don't care for. Guy told me the 3.5" black SX3 would have to be ordered and cost me $1235 out the door. I pointed out that I could order it myself and have it shipped to an FFL and pay $848 out the door. He said they can't even get it at that price. Maybe I'll buy two and sell one to Scheels.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha! Just ordered online from KYGunCo and now it's showing out of stock. I got the last one! Muahahahaha!

http://www.kygunco.com/mobile/products.cfm/id/66249/name/winchester-rifles

Now, anybody with an SX3 wanna trade your 26" bbl for my 28" bbl?
If you cant bring them down with 3" t shot flying at 1550 fps you won't be bringing them down with 3.5" shells. I have a 3.5" chamber but rarely shoot those shells. Those guns are for the young guys full of piss and vinegar with poor shooting skills trying to compensate for something.....

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go bounce BBs off a 20 lb Canada with 3" and tell me if it's desirable.

Please do wax profound regarding how said goose will know if those BB's came from a 3" or 3.5" shell, especially if the same size shot is being delivered @ the same velocity?

If you need more than 3" 12ga, then you need a 10ga that is delivering a shorter and more dense payload upon your target.

3.5" vs. 3" just extends your shot-string meaning you miss more further behind.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wondering how long it was going to go. I see you're replete with zeal and mirth this evening.

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please do wax profound regarding how said goose will know if those BB's came from a 3" or 3.5" shell, especially if the same size shot is being delivered @ the same velocity?

If you need more than 3" 12ga, then you need a 10ga that is delivering a shorter and more dense payload upon your target.

3.5" vs. 3" just extends your shot-string meaning you miss more further behind.

wait, so you never use 3.5"?

I don't get out to hunt too often and I seldom get out 3.5" shells, but theoretically, I can think of 3 reasons for 3.5" shells:

1. The bird continues its forward momentum as the string of shot makes impact. The shot cloud is longer and will therefore cover a greater area of your target as momentum carries the target forward and BBs continue to impact.

2. Your shot will be traveling 600-750 mph (depending on distance) while the bird is going 10-30mph. If broader impact is invalid due to the high rate of shot speed (closer shots) it only means then that more shot is impacting the same area, JUST LIKE A 10ga. You effectively have a 10ga at closer ranges.

3. Choke selection notwithstanding, a longer shot string at farther distances is more forgiving of imprecise shots. Birds flying away or shot clouds placed to the right or left of the body leaves trailing shot to snag a wing or for the bird to fly into if you get out ahead of it too far. (It's safe to say I don't have a problem leading moving targets too far out.)

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
wait, so you never use 3.5"?

I don't get out to hunt too often and I seldom get out 3.5" shells, but theoretically, I can think of 3 reasons for 3.5" shells:

1. The bird continues its forward momentum as the string of shot makes impact. The shot cloud is longer and will therefore cover a greater area of your target as momentum carries the target forward and BBs continue to impact.

2. Your shot will be traveling 600-750 mph (depending on distance) while the bird is going 10-30mph. If broader impact is invalid due to the high rate of shot speed (closer shots) it only means then that more shot is impacting the same area, JUST LIKE A 10ga. You effectively have a 10ga at closer ranges.

3. Choke selection notwithstanding, a longer shot string at farther distances is more forgiving of imprecise shots. Birds flying away or shot clouds placed to the right or left of the body leaves trailing shot to snag a wing or for the bird to fly into if you get out ahead of it too far. (It's safe to say I don't have a problem leading moving targets too far out.)

1. No, I never use 3.5", don't own a shotgun that'll even chamber them.

2. (you're #1), that's making the assumption that you've actually lead the bird far enough for your shot string to be in front of it. The vast majority of shotgun misses are BEHIND the intended target so a longer shot string means you miss more further behind.

3. Do you want 5 check out lanes w/ 6 people in line open @ Fleet Farm on Black Friday, or all 30 with no line? 10ga and it's larger bore diameter delivers a shorter and more densely packed shot string upon the target in a shorter time period.

4. You're missing further behind again. Shooting an extra 1/2" of shot and praying for shit-assed luck is hardly justification for that extra 1/2".

So in summary, lead the bird, lead the bird, lead the bird, and if that ain't workin', use a 10ga and lead the fuggin' bird.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought of a 4th reason for 3.5" shells: flock shooting snows. You ever jump over a dam or out of a corn field on a flock of snows? A wall of white gets up in front of you and all you can do is hold the gun out and fire 3 times, then go collect a dozen birds. More steel in the air = more dead sky carp.

I'll concede your points and do the right thing and trade in the 3.5" version for a 3" version so I don't look like some he-man flock shooter looking to back up the registers at Fleet Farm.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm enjoying the witty banter.

On on a side note, my M2's recoil feels like someone hit me in the shoulder with a small, feather pillow. I won't be shooting anything else. And if I can hit a goose with a 3" shell then I'll just stay tucked into my warm bed.

- - - Updated - - -

On another side note, I would thoroughly enjoy an old, functional marlin super goose 10 ga.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69