Snake gaiters

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heading out to the sentinel butte area for an archery trip next weekend. i usually head out there later in the year so I've never given the rattlers any thought. What are your guys' thoughts on a good set? Necessary?

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
In all honesty I wouldn't even bother with them. I have checked into them for when I'm prairie dog hunting because we have had a few run in's with rattlers. The ones I looked at are very stiff and uncomfortable from the reviews I read. I'd just keep an eye out for them.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kinda what I was thinking. Seems like a high risk situation but I've only run into one rattler in my life.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldnt worry about it. Ive only ever seen 2 live rattlesnakes in my life out there.

- - - Updated - - -

There, now that we've dissuaded your fears you're sure to get bit. Have fun!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen as many as 6 in a day. They are usually out sunning on trails when I see them.

They have never been aggressive.

They taste good.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also looked into the gaiter idea as well. I was not impressed with what I found for the same reasons mentioned also. I think the way to go is the snake proof boot. I have not purchased yet, but my hunting partner rolls in a pair and loves them. He pretty much wears them all the time until the switch to cold weather boot is made.

dannerjackaliisnakealt2-1.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do they taste like?

Reptile. Seriously... gator, iquana, frog legs, snake all taste similar. Chewy, slightly rubbery, but flavorful and satisfying. Unlike fish which can taste "fishy" ;:;barf... I don't believe that reptile has a similar risk of gaggy flavor . Maybe someone here has opposite experience. (now that would be a shocker ;))

It's fun to eat stuff like that as a novelty treat - especially if camping when you're usually not picky about good solid protein. It's not something you'd serve company or put 50 lbs of in the freezer... but it has its place and should be tried when the opportunity presents itself.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well if you heard about the guy getting bit on bully pulpit golf course, that was a relative of mine. But, dead of the summer, going after your shanked golf ball might be something to shy away from out there. If I get bit and die, I'll haunt all of you.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suppose in this modern day of "fishsticks and chicken tenders" people don't have the patience to daintily pick meat from a reptilian skeleton... but that's half the charm of it for us oldschoolers.

Sort of like slowly picking meat off of a whole smoked fish vs. a boneless salmon filet. One is more way satisfying in the gluttony dept while the other connects you somehow to the past.

- - - Updated - - -

Well if you heard about the guy getting bit on bully pulpit golf course, that was a relative of mine. But, dead of the summer, going after your shanked golf ball might be something to shy away from out there. If I get bit and die, I'll haunt all of you.

you do a good job of that now ;:;rofl

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member

If this happens, can I have your fishing gear? Someone's gotta ask.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
First choice of gear goes to the one who can sit and listen to my wife read all the harry potter and lord of the rings books from cover to cover.

- - - Updated - - -

what happened to golfer dude? some dead tissue nastiness?

got pics?

Haven't seen any pictures. The same rattler goes him twice. Guess it wasn't that bad but his insurance company is claiming they didn't use enough anti-venom to be covered. So I have to keep that in mind. If I get bit, let the snake take his/her time before freaking the f out.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member

Well before you go, can a guy get some of these buck tail jigs everyone raves about??

I you have a good leather boot(cowboy style) you should be fine. Or carry a Judge with some 4-10 shells!! Just remember, aim for the head. :;:deadhorse

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 115
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69