Salamanders for Catfish

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinking that I might give salamanders a try just for the heck of it. Anyone tried cut or whole salamander before?

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never used them but it's getting to be the time of year that I would bet cats will be eating them. Walleyes also.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have caught a number of large walleye on the Red in late fall - they had madtoms in their guts.

But no - I will not start fishing with satanic little catfish from hell as bait.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have caught a number of large walleye on the Red in late fall - they had madtoms in their guts.

But no - I will not start fishing with satanic little catfish from hell as bait.

Lots of folks use mad Tom's on the Mississippi south of the cities for eyes.

I'm with you tho, won't do it.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried shooting a salamander once, but couldnt hit one due to mycrappy douglas barrel.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of folks use mad Tom's on the Mississippi south of the cities for eyes.

I'm with you tho, won't do it.

removing them from hooks is like the Operation game... except the buzzer is 10,000V

almost certainly illegal bait anyway

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurtr told me that douglas premium barrels are archaically machined and crappy.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Larval salamanders might work ok, but the adults secrete a toxin that makes them taste/smell bad. Best catfish bait is a half frozen smelt on a circle hook, or gizzard shad guts.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Larval salamanders might work ok, but the adults secrete a toxin that makes them taste/smell bad. Best catfish bait is a half frozen smelt on a circle hook, or gizzard shad guts.

Chunks of beefsteak on a treble hook work like magic too. Run the loop of the treble through the meat and it stays on forever.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have tried all kinds of wacky baits for 25 years - the last decade fishing from my pontoon tied up on the bank of the Red in my back yard

and on the Red nothing has rivaled frogs and/or live crayfish for me late summer to early fall

eventually one gives up on 'exotics' and goes with what works and is readily available - and if either frogs or crayfish aren't working in late summer/fall it's time to do something else, like hunt

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the mid 80s I ruined my first .243 by having a match grade 22-250 Douglas SS bull barrel put on it. pretty sure it weighs 50 lb or so. What was I thinking?

mmanske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walleyes and pike love/hate salmanders they don't like em down there so they gobble em up I have caught quite a few really big eyes on the river using salamanders

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Salamanders don't work. If you happen to catch some, give them to me and I'll dispose of them for you. NO charge.

I have my personal best catfish on salamander in late November on the Sheyenne. I've caught numerous cats and eyes on salamander in the fall - amphibians make the pilgrimage to the water's edge and fish are ready and waiting. I don't think there's a whole lot of thought if they see/smell one in the river, frog - salamander, doesn't matter. Mud puppies, the juvenile version, work best, but I've cut up large salamanders and caught cats.

Again - let me know if you've got salamanders you need to get rid of. I will for free simply for the generosity in my heart.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 143
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 77