Thompson/Center Pro Hunter XT

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a TC Pro Hunter XT that I got as a gift a couple years ago. Never have shot it. Anyway I drew an any deer muzzy tag this year. Looking for advice on powder charge (would prefer pellets) and bullet combos that have had good results in the past.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot 150gr of 777 pellets and a Hornady xtp in a 240gr out of a cva and have had good groups. But I don't shoot it much past 75 yards with the open sights.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats on that rare tag!
I've got an encore and played around with loads and found that 150gr of 777 didn't do much more than 100gr of it speed wise. Just fouled and dirtied things up more. Mine shoots 200 gr TC shockwaves well.
Good luck!

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a TC bone collector that I use Blackhorn 209 150 gr. with a shockwave bullet the shockwave fits good not a problem out to 100 yds to 150yds

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
We found the best mix for us was the Hornady XTP 240 gr with 110 gr of good old fashioned FFF black powder. None of the new clean burning subsitutes seemed to shoot as well. We also found that, as we started going above 110 gr of powder, the bullet tended to wobble more.

Have had pretty good success out to about 250 yds with this set up. Too bad MN didn't allow optics for the muzzle loader season.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only hunted with my muzzleloader one year when we still had extra doe tags and used Blackhorn209 powder, that stuff is awesome, very clean burning. I used 100 grains of powder with I think a 150 grain bullet. I shot by doe at 125 yards with open sights with no problems. When I first started shooting I tried the pellets, but didn't care for them at all, pretty much had to clean after every shot. With the Blackhorn209 I would clean after ever 5 or so shots. I'd say try a couple different powders and see what you like shooting, what works best with your gun. If I lived close, I'd say you could use some powder I have so you didn't have to buy it, but I'm down in SD now.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only hunted with my muzzleloader one year when we still had extra doe tags and used Blackhorn209 powder, that stuff is awesome, very clean burning. I used 100 grains of powder with I think a 150 grain bullet. I shot by doe at 125 yards with open sights with no problems. When I first started shooting I tried the pellets, but didn't care for them at all, pretty much had to clean after every shot. With the Blackhorn209 I would clean after ever 5 or so shots. I'd say try a couple different powders and see what you like shooting, what works best with your gun. If I lived close, I'd say you could use some powder I have so you didn't have to buy it, but I'm down in SD now.

He is in Sodak to just the good part north and west. I will ask my father in law what he shoots in his tc he was hoping for that tag to but didnt get it. He has shot does the last few years got a 1x scope this year to have a smaller aiming point than with open sights

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
He is in Sodak to just the good part north and west. I will ask my father in law what he shoots in his tc he was hoping for that tag to but didnt get it. He has shot does the last few years got a 1x scope this year to have a smaller aiming point than with open sights

I completely missed that he's in SD as well. I'm in Sioux Falls, I'll be heading west in a couple of weeks, but Pierre is about as close as I will get.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks everyone. Will get some Blackhorn tomorrow and go from there. Was hoping the pellets were the cats ass, but doesn't appear to be the case.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77