grains

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would love to really cut back on the grains also. what are you guys using to substitute for bread. I eat out of a lunch box too. That makes it really hard. I'm starting to eat more fruits, etc. I bought a Pelican cooler I keep in the back seat of my work truck. Fill it with ice and it lasts for a week. Have a tray in it to house fruits, etc to separate from the ice. But need to find a way to substitute bread with something else.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, whole grains if you're going to eat grains. If you need a sandwich, use a big lettuce leaf as your "bread." Cheese and meats. Quinoa for great plant protein and fills you up. What you're main goal is, is to cut down on foods that break down really fast in your GI. Search for low glycemic foods. These stick around and don't increase your insulin response as quickly. Along with that, eat multiple times a day. The 3 meals a day is a myth. 5-6 times your goal. I faithfully believe in the blood glucose/insulin response as the #1 guideline for a diet.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's a bunch to name but here's a great list to get started. http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/.

Stick to whole grains (think the least amount of processing). You typically want to go protein in the morning, some fiber/fruit 2nd meal, heavy on vegetables for lunch (with some animal protein) and so forth. It takes some getting used to. you might feel hungrier for a while but thats just your body telling you that its not getting the amount of calories like it used to. Or at least the rapid release of caloric goodness that it used to. This isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change. No one is telling you that you can't go out and have a burger or sub once in a while, but cutting out sugar should be #1 on the list.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a great shopping list to go by. I actually give this one out to patients that are in that pre-diabetic range. http://www.gisymbol.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/GI-Foundation-Low-GI-Shopping-List-web.pdf

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whole grain breads are actually the worst of the worst. Read 2 books on the subject and it will explain in great details why.

first Dr William Davis book "Wheat Belly total health"

second Dr David Perlmutter "The grain Brain book"

For recipes Danielle Walkers "Against the grain" blog and cookbooks are awesome and will give you may grain free grain free bread replacement ideas. We have a couple of her cook books and my wife is always trying something new.

They have blogs as well, look into some paleo diet site too for recipes and ideas, I gave up dairy milk and substituted almond milk in its place and substituted dairy yogurt for coconut yogurt and this helped too. But I still eat cheese and butter in foods, true paleo is dairy free but the rest of the diet is basically how we were meant to eat before we introduced grains into our diets thousands of years ago out of hardship and from watching animals eat grains. We are hunters foragers and gatherers my nature and grain was never part of our original diet.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're right on many things there wild. However we're not talking about paleo dieting. At least I wasn't. In terms of GI eating, the more processed the food, the faster it's broken down, spiking your insulin levels. Those dips and valleys are what causes your pancreas to short out and quit producing insulin, ie. Diabetes mellitus. PALEO dieting is great too. Our bodies really aren't meant to handle dairy past infancy.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only mentioned paleo cookbooks to the OP for ideas on how to eat without grains and bread products made with them and to give other options as that was he was asking about specifically.

I hate using the term diet, it is a way of life, diets are temporary and people use them just for that a temporary weight loss tool and then they go right back to what they did before. One needs to change and keep on the right eating path and that is not done by a temporary diet.

Using the term diet for a specific Way of eating or types of food is a lot better way to use the term in my opinion than using it as an action. But that's just me I guess

Last edited:

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
It ends up being a pretty simple thing in my opinion. Did your food GROW somewhere? Could you pick/hunt it and eat it with minimal effort (Cleaning and Cooking)? If so, eat it! Was it MADE somewhere, or does it take layers of processing (Try picking some grain and eating it. It takes quite a bit of work to make wheat to bread) to make it edible? Don't Eat it. Eat food, not science projects.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
It ends up being a pretty simple thing in my opinion. Did your food GROW somewhere? Could you pick/hunt it and eat it with minimal effort (Cleaning and Cooking)? If so, eat it! Was it MADE somewhere, or does it take layers of processing (Try picking some grain and eating it. It takes quite a bit of work to make wheat to bread) to make it edible? Don't Eat it. Eat food, not science projects.

Another saying I have read is if your food has an ingredient list it is most likely bad for you, if your food Is the ingredient then it is good to eat.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76