Selling Brass

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey guys,

I have a ton of brass to sell (950 plus lbs) and was wondering where you think I should sell the brass. I have it listed on this site in the classified but i'm thinking I need to step outside of just ND. I'm going to put in on Gun Broker but want everything sorted out and cleaned before then. I'm looking for input on any additional places to sell the brass. I've thought about the local gun shows but don't know if I'm required to have an FFL at that point to get in and then sales tax requirements of doing that. I'm looking for straight private party sales for the brass.

Any thoughts?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You don't need any special license to sell at gun shows. I've purchased firearms from private sellers at shows. I'm thinking you just need to contact Dakota Territory Gun Show and reserve a booth at their next show (in January or February).

950 lbs of spent brass suggests you've lead a very fun life :)

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
What calibers and what are you charging? Is it sorted by headstamp? Most once fired? I might need a little brass, Id have to check what calibers....

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a place on the internet that had a brass "buyback" program. For the life of me I cant remember the name of the place tho. It sounded like you sent them the spent brass and they would send you live rounds. I'll post the website when I get home but I think it would be worth checking out.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much room does 950lbs of brass take up, sounds like a huge amount of empties, like my beer can collection in the 80's

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm just getting into the rifle brass. They are all range brass and will be cleaned in steel media. They will be mixed head stamps. I have some .223 LC brass which is all sorted and cleaned. I think there is probably 1,500 or so of those.

I have not seen any 280 brass but again I have looked into a small sample.

It takes up a lot of space. It is very hard to move around in my garage.

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
So....wait. You just have 900 some pounds of mixed caliber brass sitting in a pile?? Together?? You're a monster. My OCD is screaming at you right now.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha.....That's how I got it. Running everything though a sorter but still takes a lot of time. Sorting everything into 5 gallon buckets then I get to touch them again and clean them. It's relaxing and overwhelming at the same time.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
freedommunitions.com

- - - Updated - - -

And you don't have to sort it out

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way more profitable to separate, clean and sell and that's what its about.

Just to clarify, this wasn't my brass. It was a friend of mine who passed away in August (PTSD). I'm helping the spouse by taking on this project. He operated a company which put together AR model rifles and also provided a cerekote option for all ARs. He had the brass for gun show season to get people to stop by the booth. He had not gone through most of the brass as he did most of it in the fall. The funds from these will be used to repay debt. That's the reason i'm putting in all the effort to help her out and wow....you touch this brass a lot during this process!!!!

I'll take a picture and post it so people can see the volume of brass that is here. Really takes some time, it takes about 3 hours to sort a 5 gallon bucket, another 5-hours to clean and separate the steel media and 6-hours of dry time on the dehydrator. Please don't try to break this down on a per hour deal because it doesn't work out that well.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another night in the garage is complete. Very interesting going through the brass. There are a lot of rimfire 22 and you can tell when a person was having trouble with their 22 firing. There must have been 50 unfired rounds in the bucket tonight.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much room does 950lbs of brass take up, sounds like a huge amount of empties, like my beer can collection in the 80's

Seriously! I wonder how much all that weighs?!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66