What a jackass.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member

State Record Buck a Hoax

Sep 22, 2015

17.1K102

8It seems like greed is everywhere. Or maybe it’s the need for fame. Whatever it might be, it seems that some hunters will go to any level to get in the spotlight.
That’s exactly what Nick Davis from North Carolina did as he attempted to fool official scorers into believing he had shot a new state record non-typical whitetail. The North Carolina Sportsman has the full story.
Joey Thompson, an official scorer for the N.C. Bowhunters Association, said on Sunday night that the antlers from an apparent state-record whitetail deer that he scored for a Surry County hunter last week came from Pennsylvania.
Thompson posted on his Facebook page on Sunday night that a non-typical buck that he measured at 208 inches net non-typical – more than 30 inches larger than the existing state-record archery kill – taken by Nick Davis, an Elkin hunter, were actually a set of antlers from Pennsylvania that had been screwed into the skull plate of a small buck killed in North Carolina.
“I regret to inform you of the deer I took pride in measuring on Thursday night, as it was not a NC deer,” Thompson said. “I am very upset over this as I felt it was legitimate and legal. I am very thankful the NCWRC for the hard work and protecting the deer we hunt.”
Thompson told North Carolina Sportsman late Sunday night that enforcement officers with the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission told him they visited Davis earlier in the day and learned that the antlers came from Pennsylvania.
“Wardens (allegedly) had him confess. Antlers were from Pennsylvania,” Thompson said. “(They) went to his house; they were getting overwhelmed with calls and had to check it out.”
Efforts to reach enforcement officers with the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission late Sunday night were unsuccessful.
Thompson said he was told that the 27-point non-typical buck David claimed he killed with a bow last Wednesday afternoon was actually a 3-point buck taken locally with a rifle.
“He took the Pennsylvania antlers and screwed them into the skull plate and covered (it) with deer hide,” said Thompson, who was so upset that he was not going to score deer “for a while.”
Davis contacted North Carolina Sportsman last Thursday by email, asking if the magazine was interested in a possible state-record buck. Davis was interviewed later that day, and a story about the buck and photos were posted late Thursday night after Thompson finished a preliminary or “green” score of the deer.

Read more: http://griffinsguide.com/content/2015/09/22/state-record-buck-a-hoax/#ixzz3misIiakG

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ummm...IDK but that pic looked really fake from get-go. Does not diminish jackass element.

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
That kid kinda looks like one of those types thats a turd in search of attention through his B.S. fake stories. What a tool. Sad part is he just wasted everyones time and there is no recourse for something as stupid as this. Should get punched in the jaw at the bar a few times at a very minimum.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Poor kid's just bombed offa his 1st chaw (he's not old enough for that to be his 2nd) and made some bad decisions.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not all that bad. WEw We didn't have the internet at that age.

Last edited:

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is how I set the world jackelope record!!

But seriously, this dude needs a swift kick in the nuts.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ummm...IDK but that pic looked really fake from get-go. Does not diminish jackass element.

I read the article and didn't pay much attention to the pic. Hahaha that is ridiculous, I also think it's like funny how bad the feeling are hurt of they guy who was scoring it.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
This dude will always be known as the duche that tried to break the record illegaly.

A bit off topic but not totally. What I find interesting is how you can go down the line of old fish records and pretty much pick out the ones that are bogus. Loui Sprays muskie record. The largemouth bass record. ND's very own walleye record seems a bit odd. I believe the walleye world record even has some mystery surrounding it. No one has any idea what the world record pike is.
Seems almost every record before the 80's is up for questioning. Makes one wonder if they even weighed these fish back in the day. Seems more like they gave them the ole fisherman guess. We all know how accurate them are. I think its sad.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe there's plenty of evidence for the record LM..

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
This dude will always be known as the duche that tried to break the record illegaly.

A bit off topic but not totally. What I find interesting is how you can go down the line of old fish records and pretty much pick out the ones that are bogus. Loui Sprays muskie record. The largemouth bass record. ND's very own walleye record seems a bit odd. I believe the walleye world record even has some mystery surrounding it. No one has any idea what the world record pike is.
Seems almost every record before the 80's is up for questioning. Makes one wonder if they even weighed these fish back in the day. Seems more like they gave them the ole fisherman guess. We all know how accurate them are. I think its sad.

If I remember reading correctly I think even the family of the ND record holder and maybe even the holder himself (pretty sure he is deceased now) said he caught a dead fish from the lake. It seems as though he never even tried to pass it off as a record that he actually caught but it was treated as such and the gnf kept it as the record. Almost seems like a pub stunt on the gnf's part to sell some licenses back in the day. Not 100% on that but I think that's the story the article told.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure the photo is jacked up enough for it to appear this douche actually has a cheek-full of beach nut/levi garrett.. Which reminds me of my fav south park episode; cartman and butters go nascar.. "That's f-in gay.."

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77