Suppressor Questions

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking at purchasing a suppressor from Dakota Silencer and was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this company or suppressors in general? I'd be putting it on a Winchester Model 70 270. What have you guys seen as far as recoil reduction and sound suppression? Any issues in shooting accuracy? Really just looking for any info you guys have. Thanks!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have both good and bad about them. Which one are you looking at the harvester has really good reviews. Once you shoot suppressed you will never want to shoot a gun with out one. Accuracy will just be a poi adjustment.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was looking at the Varminter 3.0, it's a multi-caliber silencer. Pretty spendy though.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Varminter 2.0 from Dakota Silencer in 7.62. I use it on all my guns from 223 to 7mm.
They were great to deal with and make the process as easy as it could be considering the bureaucratic nature of it.
Sound suppression is usually equivalent to wearing a good set of muffs. IE: you won’t have to wear any if you’re the only one on the range.
Recoil reduction has been impressive for me. I would say it cuts it roughly in half for most of the weapons I have.
As for accuracy, it will only help. Your point of impact will be a bit different with and without, but you may find you shoot a bit smaller groups with it on, possibly due to reduced flinch / better barrel harmonics.
I have not seen it impact muzzle velocity at all.

Like Kurtr says, once you have one, you’ll never want to shoot without it.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
This may be a dumb question, but how exactly does it hook onto the barrel? Is there any alteration that needs to be made to the rifle? Also, how often do you have to clean the suppressor? I'm guessing it gets dirty fairly quickly.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a shot a .270 win with a supressor. They are heavy. I would say the .270 sounds like a .22 going off with a suppressor.

- - - Updated - - -

The barrel needs to be threaded for them.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I second what SupressYourself said. I also have the 2.0. You can soak them in mineral spirits to clean them. Careful though, a suppresser will turn you into a snob and you will no longer enjoy shooting a rifle without one.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking I want to be a snob. The new 3.0 is 13oz. not sure how much the prior model weighed, but lighter than I thought it would be. Thanks for all the responses! I should have thought more seriously about getting one prior to hunting season.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
This may be a dumb question, but how exactly does it hook onto the barrel? Is there any alteration that needs to be made to the rifle? Also, how often do you have to clean the suppressor? I'm guessing it gets dirty fairly quickly.

Like said you will have to get the bbl threaded Also what contour of bbl are you running as sporter ones can be a little bit of a challenge from what i have been told. I know some dont like running them on any thing smaller than a sendaro contour. I know my gun smith has a few thousand rounds on his and has never cleaned it. rim fire are the ones that really get dirty.

- - - Updated - - -

I also want to shoot polite and be a snob but for some reason my wife thinks eating is more improtant

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
With a lighter barrel profile, you may need hack a few inches off the barrel in order to have enough 'meat' to cut the threads into. This is definitely a gunsmith type job, and considering the amount of 'hack' and velocity you would lose, may not be worth it.

Best solution is to buy an AR style 260 Rem or 243 Win (or even 308 if you like that deadbeat cartridge) with the barrel already threaded :D

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a thin contoured barrel on my 7mm browning stainless stalker, so I just threaded my barrels with 1/2 threads instead of the 5/8 that come on the .30 cal suppressors and use the adapter. I would most certainly go with the trust, didn't know anything about it when I bought mine.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
With a lighter barrel profile, you may need hack a few inches off the barrel in order to have enough 'meat' to cut the threads into. This is definitely a gunsmith type job, and considering the amount of 'hack' and velocity you would lose, may not be worth it.

Best solution is to buy an AR style 260 Rem or 243 Win (or even 308 if you like that deadbeat cartridge) with the barrel already threaded :D

Since i already have the creedmoor and ar in that has been really interesting me. This is the problems i have want to many things and not enough money. The thing i got going for me is now the kid is shooting and hunting mama will let him have any thing he wants.;)

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just picked up my Varminter 3.0 on Saturday. I got mine through Dakota Silencer. They helped with all the trust paperwork and it took 6 months and three weeks to get. The new 3.0 can be taken apart and cleaned with the tool provided with the suppressor. I have shot a .223 with the 2.0 and it was quiet (like a .22). I cannot testify to the recoil since it was only a .223.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run suppressors on 300 Win mag, 308 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, DPMS 223, and one on 22lr. I don't clean the centerfire. I wish mine came apart to clean because I think the AR is a little dirty.
Go the trust route. Mine took four months through Dakota Silencers.

I think recoil reduction is about 25 to 30 percent. You don't much hear muzzle blast, but you hear bullet crack. I load and shoot a lot of 168 gr subsonic. If I could take mine apart I would shoot 200 gr hard cast.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does the additional length interfere with getting it out of the window?

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brandon, at Dakota Silencer, in Sioux Falls is very knowledgeable about the whole process. I had lots of questions and he know everything about everything. Great guy and company to work with. I would highly recommend them. I have a co-worker who purchased a suppressor locally (Mandan) and they didn't even mention the trust to him. He has been waiting 8 months now and no word from anyone yet. He isn't so happy with his decision after hearing my experience.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the length and getting it out the window, I simply traded in my Ford Ranger for a F-250 and problem solved.

- - - Updated - - -

Nanky, If you want to try it before you buy it just PM me and I'll meet you at the range. I live in Bismarck.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
He lives in Sioux falls so he should be able.to go down and check them out.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 67