Slush in a fishing hole

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
How does it pan out when you hit reverse on an electric auger and push the slush down your hole ? Is it a slick trick or do you still have to scoop slush every time you catch a fish ? And does it blow quite a bit it over to float up the closest hole ?

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Ion and If I remember right it seemed to clear the hole but left a bit to scoop out I have a 6x12 with 6 holes in it so they are not all that far apart and no problems with it pushing the ice into the other holes

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have nothing useful to add to the conversation but I would just like to say that seeing this topic makes me very excited for the upcoming ice fishing season!!! come on cold weather!!!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
we use the kdrill in reverse all the time. That being said, when we first drill, we still use the catch basin for the majority of the ice. after that, we throw the drill in reverse and push the rest down. This is being done in a wheel house.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oddly enough I too am looking forward to ice fishing. Last year was one of the worst harwater seasons I've had so not sure why I have the itch but I do.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oddly enough I too am looking forward to ice fishing. Last year was one of the worst harwater seasons I've had so not sure why I have the itch but I do.

'twas one of my worst ones ever as well. The only good thing that happened was catching the elusive over 14" perch...and it came on your rod.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hard to imagine but first ice could be just two months from today.
I'm not ready for winter. Yeesh.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
'twas one of my worst ones ever as well. The only good thing that happened was catching the elusive over 14" perch...and it came on your rod.

That was pretty neat..

- - - Updated - - -

Hard to imagine but first ice could be just two months from today.
I'm not ready for winter. Yeesh.

I have to rattle in a buck for you again first :;:thumbsup

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never hit the reverse on my ION to push the ice shavings back down. Never considered scooping out the hole to be a hindrance I guess. I'll probably continue scooping out the hole though. Ice shavings hanging around the bottom of the ice just doesn't sound like a good scenario when I'm trying to catch fish.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I look forward to ice season, I had a terrible year but then again I am clueless and pretty much suck at ice fishing. I dip the slush, gives me something to do before boredom sets in. Carry on.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I look forward to ice season, I had a terrible year but then again I am clueless and pretty much suck at ice fishing. I dip the slush, gives me something to do before boredom sets in. Carry on.

All.i can say is a bad day fishing is better than a good day doing your honey do list ( don't do anything stupid while I am gone) list

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like many others, no experience with the reverse but am chomping at the bit to get out!! Was on the ice while most were still chasing the elusive 'tirty pointer, fist limit of ice eyes was 11-17 last year. I either got better over the years or got lucky last year cause it was probably my best in 20+, had 4 perch between 14 1/2 & 15 1/2 the same morning! Reminds me to call my taxidermist..other than the bill.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

You have the itch 'cause you haven't done jackitty-squat all summer. Never fear, you won't get out ice fishing either so at least it'll be fair.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not necessarily ready for winter, but I'm always excited for ice season. Last season was for sure one of the most challenging years I've remember for catch rates. The bite over the next month or so should pretty much tell the tale of how the ice bite will be. I'm almost always fishing somewhere through a hole by Thanksgiving. We'll see if that happens this year.

I've used the reverse on an ion quite a few times as well as the k drill. Works well, but there will generally be some slush left, especially as the ice thickens. No issues with line hanging up on ice shavings, or ice pushing up other holes to much extent.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75