Canned Venison

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some left over bulk packs of boned/trimmed venison that I vac'd last Nov.

I think I'd like to try canning so that I have tender/easy stroganoff or shiite on a shingle fixins, etc.

Any tips/tricks? Just salt/pepper and pressure can?

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have canned beef, beef stew and chicken soup but no venison yet. I browned the beef chunks quickly in a lightly oiled pan for some color. The recipe BBQBM linked looks good. Assuming I have a succesful fall, I intend to can some too. Sure beats store bought and is handy for a quick meal.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have enough success with "bulk fowl" other than the rare outing with KDM. I bet duck or goose legs would can great though. I know a lot of folks can pheasants.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I might have to give this a try this year as well. Tell me more about this canned pheasant. I like to make a pheasant noodle soup and this would be nice to have it all ready.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never done it but know that many do. It seems like you get the benefit of all the gelatin/marrow "bone goodness" with canning... and pressure cooking in general.

A whole deer neck that I pressure cooked last year (after carving off the easily-removable meat for sausage) was excellent. I wish that I had left all the meat on it. I was going to use it in a recipe and ended up eating it plain, caveman style. When your fingers get super sticky/tacky from gelatin you know it's good.

One worry with fowl is I wonder about the lead (or steel) shot sitting in there for extended periods.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think i would slice it rather thin or chunk it rather small and rinse real well before throwing it in the jars. probably just have it made into sausage or sticks again. but, just thinking out loud.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
three of us picked up 5 rainbows and 2 salmon on the 'race earlier this year. She canned up 23 pints of that orange looking meat. Have yet to get my share back yet from the gal that was with us, but time will tell.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That canned trout makes a hell of a dip mixed with cream cheese. I'm not even a big "fish" guy.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't go hog wild until you make a batch and try it . My wife canned a whole bunch of it when we were first married and it took a long time to eat it up. It was handy for a quick meal but we were getting sick of it towards the end.

shadow

Founding Member
Founding Member
For Ducks and geese, I cut into chunks and pack into pint jars, then press a wooden spoon down on meat to get out air. Pressure cook at 10 pounds for 75 minutes. Although the meat is delicious, tender and tasty, I have not found how much seasoning to put in as it seems never to be enough. I have tried salt and pepper, season salt, garlic, soy sauce.But the meat is great heated for sandwiches, stroganoff, stew and shreds easily.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69