Flashers vs. Traditional Sonar?

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm somewhat new to ice fishing as I've only been doing it for about 3 seasons now. I've noticed that nearly everyone has a flasher but hardly anyone uses a traditional sonar unit (like a small lowrance HDS unit or something older). I'm sure there is a reason but I have no clue as to why that is. Thoughts?

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say it has to do with the refresh rate of the flasher vs. LCD displays. I took an LCD up to Winnipeg last year and did well with it. I think the flashers are also easier on batteries.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
the last site sucked for loading videos. i never did get it figured out. but, this one is much easier... so, here ya go! its a few years old. i'm stacked on top of a crap load of perch when an eye comes in and they all scatter. you don't see the jig for a few seconds because i just drop it down about the same time i turn the graph on. but, you see the fish come off the bottom and react to it as i am dropping it. eventually, the jig is the little line up top (at about 24 ft) bouncing up and down. excuse the language at the end and the stupid drag. i was perch fishing and didn't expect to hook into a 20+ inch eye.

- - - Updated - - -

another one of my video masterpieces... lol.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
A lot of us jig fish in open water under the transducer so we're very familiar with how graphs look/feel for "static" conditions (that emulate ice fishing). We also use flashers all winter. I would say the bulk of those people that have experience with both don't really have a beef with, nor a dominant preference for, either approach. Tiller vs wheel kind of argument if you ask me. To me they are equivalent in capability with the exception of a few seconds history with graphs - so you have a slightly higher chance of seeing something swimming away when you were distracted - thus you can start jigging to maybe call it back.

Just pick either one with bottom zoom capability of some sort and become one with it.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own and fish with both, but tend to go to my Hummingbird graph if I fish alone or only with my electronics. It does not play well with Marcums. I use a vex when fishing with other people. I like the feature of built in gps in the Hummingbird.

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I've read Sub_Elect has it right, for the older machines. It use to be near impossible to adjust the refresh rate on the LCD sonar so you had a hard time seeing fish compared to a flasher unit. Along comes Marcum and revolutionized LCD units for icefishing, everyone else that has LCD units has been playing catch up for icefishing every since.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flashers instantaneously show how the fish are reacting, which makes a big difference in getting them to bite. If they are hitting good then they all work.

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
popc1.gif <-------i second this... where is tim sandstrom when you need him?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Marcum, cause it makes Enslow batshit crazy......er.

Then there's the added benefit of being able to "share" your signal w/Sconi pirates, especially on a deep Pearch hole.

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pirates.... Ice pirates!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

PIRATES.... ICE PIRATES!!!!!!

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm somewhat new to ice fishing as I've only been doing it for about 3 seasons now. I've noticed that nearly everyone has a flasher but hardly anyone uses a traditional sonar unit (like a small lowrance HDS unit or something older). I'm sure there is a reason but I have no clue as to why that is. Thoughts?

Welcome to the ice fishing addiction Still learnin!:;:cheers
And it is an addiction. Which to buy..sonar or flasher?
We crazy ice fishing fools also need an auger..or 2.. which brand? what size? gas or electric or propane? other
ice shelters..dang...I just have to get one or those..or 2.. flip over, suitcase, permanent.. yes..I just have to get one.
This ice fishing is fun..i need to get out more(fuel the addiction.haha)
What is this?? we can fish with 4 lines? what a country..I need rods and reels..lots of them..different lengths, actions. Some with large eyelets, some with small eyelets. I have heard that tips ups for northerns can be a hoot so I need to grab a few of those as well.
Line? fishing line..I need to put some different line on the different reels. Gosh..i need to note book to keep track of what I have on what set up(more fuel for the addiction). Rod cases..must have..those suckers can save my rods.
Honey..i picked up a nice used flipover fish house the other day..it was in great shape..and a steal of a price..Yes,dear, but don't you already have flip over??Yes,honey I do..but this was a heck of a deal.
Tackle..ah yes...the addiction grows as most regular softwater lures just will not do.. You need to pick up buckshots, flying rattlin spoons, Swedish pimples, jigs..not just any jigs..get tungsten..genz worms.hali's,frostee's,slender spoons,tingler spoons.stinger hooks, dropper chains, jigging raps. All sizes, all colors. Keep in mind some of your fellow NDA's on here also make their own lures. Give them some business as well. Do not forget about drop shot rigs..oh..and some of your rods need to be outfitted for deadsticking a live bait on a bobber...oh yeah..don't forget to pick up a gold colored treble hook that your buddy's cousin's uncle said that he killed them one day on. Scheels is your friend. Refer to them often. They are a great source to pick up the latest lure that you were sure you had but need to get more anyway.
Before mentioned notebook...is where addiction grows..in said notebook...jot down your fishing excursions..location, time of day, wind direction, number of fish caught, overcast or sunny, and barometric pressure..was it falling, rising, steady? You will need to refer to this notebook otherwise you will be relegated to memorizing such things when discussing your fishing success with your buddies at the local coffee shop or watering hole.
Be ready for ice fishing season the first moment some ice starts to accumulate in your can of busch lite! You will need a least a month to prepare your rods and reels and add to your collection of tackle. Add a lure or two that you recalled your buddy's friends cousin's friend told you about over a beer one time this past summer.
Welcome to the addiction my friend, welcome to the addiction! Fast forward 15-20 yrs and you will be wondering, How in the heck did I accumulate all this stuff? haha
People who have never fished or seen hardwater before don't have a clue!
Good fishing! I going hunting until the real season starts- Ice fishing season

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had to chuckle while reading the last post. I had in my mind's eye a skinny, twitchy guy that looked like he had drank 15 cup too many of coffee while having shaky hand gestures and fast blinking eyes.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Welcome to the ice fishing addiction Still learnin!:;:cheers
And it is an addiction. Which to buy..sonar or flasher?
We crazy ice fishing fools also need an auger..or 2.. which brand? what size? gas or electric or propane? other
ice shelters..dang...I just have to get one or those..or 2.. flip over, suitcase, permanent.. yes..I just have to get one.
This ice fishing is fun..i need to get out more(fuel the addiction.haha)
What is this?? we can fish with 4 lines? what a country..I need rods and reels..lots of them..different lengths, actions. Some with large eyelets, some with small eyelets. I have heard that tips ups for northerns can be a hoot so I need to grab a few of those as well.
Line? fishing line..I need to put some different line on the different reels. Gosh..i need to note book to keep track of what I have on what set up(more fuel for the addiction). Rod cases..must have..those suckers can save my rods.
Honey..i picked up a nice used flipover fish house the other day..it was in great shape..and a steal of a price..Yes,dear, but don't you already have flip over??Yes,honey I do..but this was a heck of a deal.
Tackle..ah yes...the addiction grows as most regular softwater lures just will not do.. You need to pick up buckshots, flying rattlin spoons, Swedish pimples, jigs..not just any jigs..get tungsten..genz worms.hali's,frostee's,slender spoons,tingler spoons.stinger hooks, dropper chains, jigging raps. All sizes, all colors. Keep in mind some of your fellow NDA's on here also make their own lures. Give them some business as well. Do not forget about drop shot rigs..oh..and some of your rods need to be outfitted for deadsticking a live bait on a bobber...oh yeah..don't forget to pick up a gold colored treble hook that your buddy's cousin's uncle said that he killed them one day on. Scheels is your friend. Refer to them often. They are a great source to pick up the latest lure that you were sure you had but need to get more anyway.
Before mentioned notebook...is where addiction grows..in said notebook...jot down your fishing excursions..location, time of day, wind direction, number of fish caught, overcast or sunny, and barometric pressure..was it falling, rising, steady? You will need to refer to this notebook otherwise you will be relegated to memorizing such things when discussing your fishing success with your buddies at the local coffee shop or watering hole.
Be ready for ice fishing season the first moment some ice starts to accumulate in your can of busch lite! You will need a least a month to prepare your rods and reels and add to your collection of tackle. Add a lure or two that you recalled your buddy's friends cousin's friend told you about over a beer one time this past summer.
Welcome to the addiction my friend, welcome to the addiction! Fast forward 15-20 yrs and you will be wondering, How in the heck did I accumulate all this stuff? haha
People who have never fished or seen hardwater before don't have a clue!
Good fishing! I going hunting until the real season starts- Ice fishing season

Don't forget about gps coordinates that u will save on your gps unit and when taking pictures of your catch make sure to take a look at the ahab pose it is the most popular. And share your picks on ND Angler cuz if there are no pics then johnr will think u are pulling the wool over eyexer head.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79