Lake hunting

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anybody ever hunted waterfowl on Sweet Briar or New Johns? A few friends and I have been talking about doing a camping/hunting trip on one of these lakes. Either way if the weather is nice enough we are going camping, but I just want to know if it's worth taking the guns, decoys, blinds, etc.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Done new Johns a few times but always at ice up. Numbers on Johns tend to be low till the little water starts to freeze.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why restrict yourself to hunting the lakes? Probably lots of field/pothole options within a short drive of where you are camping.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live near Sweet Briar. It would be very hit and miss. The west end of the lake and back into the stream on the other side of highway would be your best bet. Have never seen high numbers of puddlers, sometimes a good size flock of divers is on there. I wouldn't expect hot and heavy shooting, or even a limit. But you may scratch out a few birds.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why restrict yourself to hunting the lakes? Probably lots of field/pothole options within a short drive of where you are camping.

I agree with this. That said are you just camping and shore hunting or using a boat? Either way there are many, many, many better spots to do it either way with better hunting then the two you listed. In most cases if its a place you think of fishing for walleyes first then duck hunting will tend not to be all that good till either the divers pile up or ice takes out the smaller water. Guessing your out of bismarck so let us know how your going to hunt because I'm sure we can find you a better X to head for then those two.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are basically just doing a camping trip. However, we have been thinking about bringing the shotguns and shooting some ducks as they fly over, if they fly over. Or, maybe setting up the decoys close to the campsite.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66