Helper Springs vs Suspension Air Bags

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have either of these? Pros/cons? Picked up a camper the other day and truck pulls it fine but rear end sags quite a bit. Recommendations? Thanks!

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to work for a place that built trailers with air bags. I would go with the air bags.
The biggest advantage is they don't lose rate like a spring will after so many cycles.
The other thing is they are adjustable.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had airbags in a 2003 F150 due to a heavy popup camper. Interesting things, do yourself a favor and tie the two air lines together so the two sides are always equal. Some people like to keep them independent in case there is a lop-sided load, but I'd rather they both go flat instead of having one side with 90 psi and the other with 2 psi.

Only thing to remember with bags is that you should always have at least a few pounds of air in them even when running empty. If you don't, you run the risk of having your suspension extended out fully on rough terrain and the air bag can fully extend and then get wrecked by not following the correct path to "compressed". Happened to me and wrecked one of the bags.

Also, do yourself a favor and buy a small 12V air compressor to inflate the bags in the boonies if you need to. You may have to extend the electrical supply line though as most air compressors only come with enough wire to get you to a back tire, and not the bumper where the air valve is usually installed.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had both. I had the airbags on an 08 f150 and put the helper springs on my 2013 f150. I would do the helpers again over the airbags. The airbags were kind of a PIA. If you don't mind chasing around for air and filling them then letting air out and making sure they have at least 10 lbs of air in them all winter ect. The helpers I have are from auto springs and have built in Teflon pads so they never squeak and only added 2" of height to the rear end of the truck. Ride is good with the helpers, actually it is about like factory. Maybe they are a touch firmer but not harsh at all.
I would do the helpers again in a second. What type of pickup are you putting them on?

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for input guys. I have a 99 Ford F-150. Not sure what to do, hear mixed reviews on both! Haha

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to install both. Personally, I would recommend the air bags. They are adjustable, and will have little to no impact on the ride quality when you're not pulling. The springs will stiffen the ride up at all times and will make for a bumpy ride when not pulling. You're supposed to keep a minimum of 30lbs in the bags at all times, but can go as high as 80+ (depending on the brand) when pulling.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
My pickup camper has the refrigerator, generator, and an outside storage bin on the right side. I use air bags to level it and to prevent sagging when the camper is loaded to the max with stuff and my boat is in tow. Since I have the side-to-side issue, mine are plumbed separately. For access to the air hoses with the camper hanging over the rear end of the box, the air bag Shrade valves are mounted in the steel rear fender liners on each side. Access with my bicycle pump is simple.
I level both side-to-side and front/rear by measuring from the center of the wheel hub to the lip of each fender.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are your guys opinions on reese trailer hitches ? I've never owned or used one but my dad was a fan of them them and put a lot of miles on with 1/2 ton pickups and big campers .

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look into a set of Timbren stabilizers. Inland Truck Parts carries them. They are a rubber cushion that does not affect the ride quality of the vehicle when empty, but do wonders when loaded. They are cheap and simple. they do not change the ride height or ride quality. They also have a lifetime warranty. I've installed several.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as hitches, I've had Reese and no where near a B/W. Also not as expensive. I have some good pricing if interested, I can send you a quote on the model you are looking for.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put air bags in my 2012 dodge 2500 this summer and so far and really happy with them. Mine recommend a minimum of 10 psi and a maximum of 100 psi. I currently have them at 50 psi for my horse trailer and flatbed. Makes a world of difference when pulling. Rides a little tougher empty but then again I've never bought a pickup for it's ride. If I had the money it would be nice to install a compressor so I could regulate psi from within the cab. Installation was easy and I plumbed both lines into the inner fender well lining on the driver's side so I can fill both without having to go side to side.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
air with fill/de-air from the dash is the ticket. why ride around in a lumber wagon when you don't need the extra support

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Progressive rate leaf springs, completely adjustable. Napa or JC Whitney. Very easy to install. Had them on 96 GMC 1500, took all the squat out when hooked to 5th wheel. Well worth the money.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
air with fill/de-air from the dash is the ticket. why ride around in a lumber wagon when you don't need the extra support

Had a work truck that came set up that had that , It was a one ton Dually so I hardly needed it but it was nice when I did . Flat bed so I could fit Two pallets of drilling mud no problem. I hardly knew I had a load on it .

DJE

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do yourself a favor and just buy firestone ride rite air bags adjustable can run as low as 5lbs of air so ride is still great and up to 100lbs if u want to make a 1/2 ton a 1 ton. Have had them in my last 2 trucks and would own nothing else.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks again guys, leaning towards air bag set up. Will post a review if I get em put on.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80