Ion auger questions

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I finally got a nice permanent ice house. The previous owner threw an ion auger in on the deal. I bought the package in march so I only got to use it twice. I have to say I was impressed with the ion but I can tell you right now I do not like an 8" hole. My question is, will I be happy with a 10" bit for the ion? Will it have enough power? Or should I just sell it and get a 4 stroke? Any insight would be appreciated. We all got turned down for deer tags so I am stoked for ice fishing

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
It all depends on how many holes you plan on drilling. If you are only going to drill the 6 or so holes in the permanent house then the ION will do just fine with a 10 inch auger. My ION will drill 30 8 inch holes through 24 inches of ice on a charge. A 10 might not work out like you want if you are going to run and gun. If you want to do that, I'd consider selling the ION for a stronger auger. JMHO though.

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's good info to know KDM, thanks. I'm going to order up a Ion 8" in a couple of weeks, do you keep your battery warm during the day to extend it's life?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's good info to know KDM, thanks. I'm going to order up a Ion 8" in a couple of weeks, do you keep your battery warm during the day to extend it's life?

For simple, no problem drilling, the ION, or similar machine, is the way to go. Always keep the battery warm. I drill, then take the battery off and put it in the house with us. It really extends the usable power life. For runnin' and gunnin' a gas auger puts the ION to shame.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
FWIW I have a 12 V DC to 110 V AC power inverter that I used daily for a coffee maker while working away from home and it got banged around, left it out in the rain and snow with no problems. Something like that might come in handy for recharging on weekend trips if you stay out on the ice and do a lot of moving around. I paid less than $ 40 for it about 10 years ago.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ion is a great auger for 20 or less holes. I have a problem with drill upwards of 100 plus some days so I run a gas.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ion is the best auger for a house. No need for a ten inch flight. Doesn't mess with your co monitor also. Plus it pushes slush down the hole and doesn't throw it all over the house. The only use for a gas auger is drilling a ton of holes in one day trying to find fish.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

I bought this set up and looking to get rid of my old 30 with a 10" stx :;:rockit:;:rockit:;:rockit:;:rockit

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you were to put a kluge flighting on that ion you could drill a triple hole since you can overlap holes with those blades.

Last edited:

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've gotten enough Cabelas points that I'll be ordering myself a Ion tomorrow.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish a guy could still buy papergraphs for ice fishing. That way i can study the papers when i get home for lure development.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69