Please join me in welcoming.........

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
and congratulating a new member to the glorious fraternity of goose hunters. A buddy and I, along with my little girl decided to hit the goose fields this morning. It would be my girls FIRST goose hunt where she would be shooting a gun. We awoke at 2:30am and started to prepare for the day. I know that is early, but it takes awhile to get my daughter ready to go anywhere. We hit the X at around 4 to start the spread preparation. First lesson learned by my daughter was how NOT to break the decoy stands. Right after she broke one. The next lesson was on how to brush in a blind and then how to put together a goose spread. Upon finishing those activites, we enjoyed a cup of coffee (or hot chocolate) and waited for the sun to rise. The first flock (11 birds) came in right after shooting time and put the landing gear down right in our faces. I called the shot and we came up from the blinds. I was waiting for my girl to shoot, but she just sat there. My buddy dropped a triple and the day had begun. When I asked her why she didn't shoot, she said "I just freaked out they were so close and I forgot I had a gun and was supposed to shoot." I got a good chuckle out of that one. The next flock followed in about 5 minutes and she at least got a shot off on those. No dice, but my buddy dropped a double. On the third flock I couldn't tell for sure, but I think she and my buddy double up on the same bird. From my view directly behind her, she had the right lead and angle, but they both shot at the same time. It was a few flocks later as the birds came in to high for her 20 ga before another group came in close. There were about 30 birds in this bunch and they were hard on our left. We came out of the blinds and it was POETRY IN MOTION. She swung the gun around while bringing it to her shoulder in one fluid motion, took aim, and fired. Down came a goose with a resounding "THUMP"!! She yelled "I got one!!!!!" I beamed and said "THAT ONE IS ALL YOURS GIRL!!!" We marveled at her first bird and I asked her if it was as easy as it looked?? She emphatically stated "NO". She was shooting 3 inch mag #2 steel and I asked her how her shoulder was after shooting about 8 rounds. She said "I feel great!!" It was a fantastic day in the field and I am so proud of my girl!! I think the pics can tell the rest of the story.

DSC01300.jpg

DSC01294.jpg

Attachments

DSC01296.jpg
Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's awesome. Kinda wish I had a little one to get into hunting. Congrats dad and daughter.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very nice! Tell her i said congrats on her first goose. I remember my first goose with my dad, great lifelong memories!

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stellar! Congrats on taking and teaching her and congrats to her on a first goose! I look forward to getting my kids out someday.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way to go Cassie tells her congrats for me. Looks like u guys had a good day.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thrilled for her, I hope she gets a whole bunch more!!!

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
thrill of a lifetime for her and you I'm sure. Grats to the both of you. You should be a proud father. Judging by her age, I'm guessing you will lose her to her friends in a couple years. (kids don't like to hang out with their parents as teenagers)! But after this, you can always get closer to her with a scheduled hunt or two every once in awhile.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congratulations. Anxious for when my daughter can shoulder a shotgun in the field.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, that's outstanding. Nice work, KDM!!!

(picked up the same shotgun for my kids. Nice to see it works for geese. Very close geese.)

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats to you both! Awesome memories for you both.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67