Chili, one of my many favorites

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody got any good recipes they would share? When I make it, it looks so good but never really tastes that good. I really like it at the north Kroll's

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got one that takes almost 2 hours of prep. lotsa ingredients but very tasty. More of a stew than a true chili. We make it 10 quarts at a time and share it with immediate family. let me know if it is something you are interested in. Won the KFYR cookoff contest in 1982 but we have changed it many times since.

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sure am interested. IDK what I do wrong. I've tried with lots of ingredients in the same batch and thought maybe I overdid it. I've tried with less ingredients too, but still not happy.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Variety of beans
1lb hamburger
taco seasoning
brown sugar
tomato sauce
tomato paste
diced tomatoes
peppers
variety of seasoning

brown hamburger and season with pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper. Mix in taco seasoning and water. Wait for it to cook down. While that's going on, add variety of beans, tomato ingredients, brown sugar, jalapeños, bell peppers all in a large pot. Add meat once it cooks down. Let simmer for a few hours. I usually add sour cream and shredded cheese. My wife makes an awesome corn bread that goes great with it.

I just made made this on Saturday. I apologize to all the Bismarck residents that were downtown Saturday night. Crop dust.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always let my chili sit in the fridge overnight after I cook it. The flavors seem to meld together better. Its always better the next day. I also smoke my chili. Dont tell anybody though. Thats my secret. :cool:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody got any good recipes they would share? When I make it, it looks so good but never really tastes that good. I really like it at the north Kroll's

maybe you are not including cumin, the wacky ingredient one never thinks about but is absolutely key to making some dishes taste the way they do?

- - - Updated - - -

also - you can almost always find "knock-off" recipes with a little googling

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/746469-Kroll-s-Chili

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
mrs johnr is a master at chili making, she is the reason I am overweight.., and yet she somehow stays fit and in shape.

I know she uses fresh crushed garlic, and some other magic spices along with the typical ingredients.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
leftover coffee goes into ours - along with some brown sugar

and we use steak/roast "whole meats" diced up - not ground

with that said a lot of the best chilis I have had have hamburger as the meat ingredient - so I'm no purist - variety is nice

lots and lots of garlic, onion, bell and chili peppers - like risto said it's stew-like rather than classic chili

and a small jar of salsa from a previous summer's tomato's (good way to get rid of some long-in-the-tooth salsa if it exists)

- - - Updated - - -

geez... now I have to make some

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
At least a few times a year I use ground venison in my chili. Try to keep it simple but tasty with a little kick, however even when I use try to duplicate a recipe its always a little different. Kinda like snowflakes, but always good. Must drink copious quantities of Beer.:;:rockit

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
At least a few times a year I use ground venison in my chili. Try to keep it simple but tasty with a little kick, however even when I use try to duplicate a recipe its always a little different. Kinda like snowflakes, but always good. Must drink copious quantities of Beer.:;:rockit

Or just take a couple hits of dope, its really the same thing, but safer.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of good ideas here. Slow cooked makes all chili better. 4 hours minimum. Yes it is always better the next day. I have tried different types of chili powder some are spicier than others. Just don't forget the garlic! I also like to use a variety of beans. Plenty to choose from at your local store.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once I get everything up to a nice simmer, I'll fill a bowl because I'm a child and need instant gratification. After that bowl, I'm able to let it simmer for a while. As far as bean selection, I honestly have one of every kind on the shelf. I'd leave out garbanzo beans but my wife likes them.

iceman1944

Founding Member
Founding Member
leftover coffee goes into ours - along with some brown sugar

and we use steak/roast "whole meats" diced up - not ground

with that said a lot of the best chilis I have had have hamburger as the meat ingredient - so I'm no purist - variety is nice

lots and lots of garlic, onion, bell and chili peppers - like risto said it's stew-like rather than classic chili

and a small jar of salsa from a previous summer's tomato's (good way to get rid of some long-in-the-tooth salsa if it exists)

- - - Updated - - -

geez... now I have to make some

Totally agree with good meat, the real secret equal amount of diced boston butt, pork gives it the flavor.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
along with ground beef and pork, we always fried an = amount of stuffed smoked deer sausage for the fish house chili...

we fried it in butter until done, then sliced it into 1/4" slices then fried them on both sides until almost burnt, then added them into the pot...

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stewed tomatoes. Can never have enough garlic n onion. Peppers, low n slow. It's a lifelong experiment when making the perfect chili.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The best way to know if you had the right chili recipe is the next day, if you can clear out the house with one little passage of gas. I have done this many times, and even made one entire Christmas dinner one to remember.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a lifelong experiment when making the perfect chili.

Yes - and once in a while you arrive at that magical "OMG... this is IT, perfect chili" - and you either can't recall exactly what you did - and even if you do, it doesn't taste the same the next time around when you try to recreate it ;:;banghead

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77