Canned Venison

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started cutting up my deer on Saturday and put some backstraps on the grill. They looked great cooked medium rare. Was like chewing on a piece of grisel. So I decided I might as well try this canning thing. I cubed up some meat cut up a couple onions and added a bunch of mushrooms to it. Next time I'm going to try and use morals. Put in a couple cubes of beef bulon and some garlic cloves and called it good
20151004_192357.jpg
20151004_193947.jpg
I put them in the pressure cooker at 12 to 13 lbs for 90 min. All jars sealed great I was worried about this first time ever using one just decided to buy one yesterday and go for it.
20151004_233626.jpg
Came home for lunch today and figured I better try what I had made. Cooked up some noodles. Opened a jar and dumped the juice in a pan and add some starch to make a gravy. After it started to thicken I put in the cubes and let it simmer for a couple min to warm up. Topped the noodles with it.
20151005_130332.jpg
After today I will be doing this again very good tons of flavor and the meat was good and tender.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you go ahead and mix the veggies and meat before filling, you will be able to pack more in per jar. I think for quart jars, pressure canning headspace is 1"? Nice job right out of the gate. We like cooking up some of the thick egg noodles you get from the freezer aisle. Drain and add beef broth or stock to almost cover noodles, add 2 qt jars canned meat, fresh ground pepper and salt and parsley for color. Serve along or over mashed taters...one carb is never enough!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fascinating - I've yet to see a recipe with shrooms/veg (other than garlic) added prior to the pressure-cooking. Was there any discernible texture left on them? Or did they basically cook down into "gravy"? (not necessarily a bad thing)

- - - Updated - - -

If you go ahead and mix the veggies and meat before filling, you will be able to pack more in per jar. I think for quart jars, pressure canning headspace is 1"? Nice job right out of the gate. We like cooking up some of the thick egg noodles you get from the freezer aisle. Drain and add beef broth or stock to almost cover noodles, add 2 qt jars canned meat, fresh ground pepper and salt and parsley for color. Serve along or over mashed taters...one carb is never enough!

ba ha ha - carbs on carbs - wow!

- - - Updated - - -

it appears in the pics that the shrooms hold up nicely

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
The shrooms didn't break down at all I used pre canned ones so that might be the reason. I was not able to find anything that said I couldn't put shrooms in with it so I did.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
The shrooms didn't break down at all I used pre canned ones so that might be the reason. I was not able to find anything that said I couldn't put shrooms in with it so I did.

Yeah as long as you process at the correct time and pressure, you are good. Morels might not hold up as well maybe, but boy they sure would be good though.

- - - Updated - - -

Fascinating - I've yet to see a recipe with shrooms/veg (other than garlic) added prior to the pressure-cooking. Was there any discernible texture left on them? Or did they basically cook down into "gravy"? (not necessarily a bad thing)

- - - Updated - - -

ba ha ha - carbs on carbs - wow!

- - - Updated - - -

it appears in the pics that the shrooms hold up nicely

Yeah it must be an Ohio thing, but chicken or beef and noodles over a mound of mashed taters is pretty dang tasty and coupled with a beer or 2 really gets you into that "I might get stuck in a snow drift for a few days" type of shape.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks Good!! I guess you'll have to bring your deer over for sausage fest and make summer sausage out of'em.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77