heated or not heated is the question

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad is getting older and has a hard time staying warm even in the flip over. Anyone use heated socks and gloves. Which ones would you recommend? Thanks for any input you wish to share.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put a piece of 2'' high density styrofoam on the ice for him to put his feet on , Makes a world of difference.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Muck artic pros solved all my cold feet problems. Carry a sample piece of carpet around the the sled also works good.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gerbing heated gloves bought a pair last year for sitting in the tree stand hunted until New Year's Eve ( when I finally tagged out) never got cold hands once with them. They won't last a full day tho probably only get 4 hours max out of the batteries. With that being said I can't believe I didn't buy a pair sooner.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on how much you ice fish and how much you value time spent with your Dad, I would consider one of those smaller Ice Castle or similar products. You still have some mobility, but with comfort for Dad. If that's not possible, then the high density foam is a good option. Also, you can try getting a small battery operated fan to blow the heat around the house a bit better or directly at your Dad. Good Luck!!!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on how much you ice fish and how much you value time spent with your Dad, I would consider one of those smaller Ice Castle or similar products. You still have some mobility, but with comfort for Dad. If that's not possible, then the high density foam is a good option. Also, you can try getting a small battery operated fan to blow the heat around the house a bit better or directly at your Dad. Good Luck!!!
Thank you KDM for your advice, I very much appreciate all those who share their experiences with me.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
What works best for me is to just get those glove and boot warmers that activate when you shake them. Simple Simon and they work great for up to 8 hours. Buy them off season rather than during hunting/ice fishing season at the local C-store to save you some bucks. I just put one in each glove and am good to go for the day.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is more of a survival tip than an ice fishing tip but last year when i was out deer hunting and was having a hard time staying warm I grabbed a 5 gal pail, a blanket and a can of sterno. I sat in a chair and laid the pail on it's side in front of me and put the lit sterno way to the back of the pail and stuck my feet in the bucket and threw a blanket over me and the pail . I went from having the shivers to toasty warm in no time.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do use for a heater in the ice house? Sunflower heaters work great for heating up.

my wife uses the thermacell heated insoles and she has been very happy with them. They won't last a full day but keep them between low/off to maintain. A piece of foam insulation on the ice is a big improvement as well.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What works best for me is to just get those glove and boot warmers that activate when you shake them. Simple Simon and they work great for up to 8 hours. Buy them off season rather than during hunting/ice fishing season at the local C-store to save you some bucks. I just put one in each glove and am good to go for the day.

We went to a Vikings game last Dec 28th and I picked up a couple sets of the foot ones and hand ones, than a couple big pad style ones. The foot ones would not stay warm, as I come to find out they need to be able to "breath" and my boots must have been to air tight or something as they were worthless, then when we got back into the car for the trip home I removed my pack boots and set the warmer packets on the counsel, they then started to get nice and toasty....:mad:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
We went to a Vikings game last Dec 28th and I picked up a couple sets of the foot ones and hand ones, than a couple big pad style ones. The foot ones would not stay warm, as I come to find out they need to be able to "breath" and my boots must have been to air tight or something as they were worthless, then when we got back into the car for the trip home I removed my pack boots and set the warmer packets on the counsel, they then started to get nice and toasty....:mad:

Thank you johnr for posting that because I thought if I posted that comment I would be told some lame excuse like " you need to take the warmers out of the package to work or something like that"
;:;banghead

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really like the foot ones. let them get good and warm before sticking them to your sock and lacing up

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually have a hot hands packet in a pocket to help take the chill off. I've tried the feet ones and they've worked pretty well. Wags is correct in that you don't stick it to the boot or foot until they're warm. I usually open them up as I get on the interstate or 83. I now have a pair of the electric insoles as well. They don't do much and my feet hurt if I'm walking around a lot. Muck arctic pros can't keep my feet warm so I'm on the search for better boots.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
. Use big buddy and face towards. Never been cold my pulse runs low and BP below normal due to med and workouts

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gerbing has some nice stuff. Some years ago they sent me an entire outfit including gloves, socks, coat, bibs, battery packs, and different cords/wiring setups to test for fall open water fishing and ice fishing. They also sent me a pad that used the battery packs when you lay in your blind or whatever. Their items are quality and with the battery packs you can have extras available if your out longer. Bit more expensive than the cheap stuff you can get but it's made to last and it works well.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gerbing has some nice stuff. Some years ago they sent me an entire outfit including gloves, socks, coat, bibs, battery packs, and different cords/wiring setups to test for fall open water fishing and ice fishing. They also sent me a pad that used the battery packs when you lay in your blind or whatever. Their items are quality and with the battery packs you can have extras available if your out longer. Bit more expensive than the cheap stuff you can get but it's made to last and it works well.

Do you own a sporting goods store or a professional something or other

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife also has a pair of thermocell heated insoles in her boots and loves them. I purchased her a pair of 2000 gram thinsulate boots and her feet still were cold. With the heated insoles and a pair of muck boosts her feet stay warm and keeps her happy. Everybody knows that when momma aint happy nobody's happy

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My experience with boots that fail to keep feet warm is that they lack two things: 1) a non-conductive insole. Conductive insoles allow the heat in your foot to escape through the sole of the boot. Find a good pair of cold weather insoles, I've had good luck with the $25 Danner insoles. 2) A large toe box. Boots that are too tight in the distal end of the foot restrict circulation.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67