What would you do?

freiday31

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I am out in the stand tonight, and along limps this button buck with what appears to be an open wound on his front right leg above the elbow. No hair, just flesh and tissue about the size of a golf ball. Do you shoot the button buck and end your season to end his misery or do you let him walk and keep hunting, knowing that the best time of the archery season lies ahead?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let nature take its course, that's what I'd do.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put it down and then post on here that you found the deer the guy was looking for yesterday and he can come pick it up.

freiday31

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the record, I shot the deer. Not sure what I would "normally" do. Emotions are running a bit high after putting down my springer spaniel yesterday. Perhaps emotion beat out logic today. I wonder if this is what it feels like to be a female?

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My condolences and deepest sympathies towards your lose, never an easy task. Not sure and don't have an opinion on the deer, once again, sorry for your loss, prayers to you and your family.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear about you friend. I think I would have let the button buck walk. In the end, if you think you did right by the little buck then who could fault you. Congrats on filling your archery tag and sorry again about your dog.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly I think you did what most would do. Watching anything suffer is hard. Sorry to hear about your springer. You did what you thought was morally right wich is all that matters. Move on to other activities and enjoy your Venison!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deer are tough critters, I've put one out of its misery when a pack of domestic dogs were eating it alive but A limp is nothing. We had twin fawns in the yard one spring and one morning they showed up with the front leg snapped off and flopping on one of them, It had quit flopping the next time we saw them and the little bugger ran just as fast as on 3 legs as the twin did on 4. By fall we couldn't tell which one it was that had broken the leg.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear about your loss of a companion. Enjoy the venison, life is good.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think any legally killed deer should be second guessed. Pretty hard to beat a yearling for quality eating so enjoy it.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Punch tag, take tender venison, melt butter, add onions, garlic, and eat with baked beans and toast. Yep! That's about right.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
That deer likely would have been just fine in a few weeks.

Having said that, you did the right thing. No one likes to see an animal suffer.
It would be an especially tough choice for me cause I’ve been seeing some monsters on my trail cams (although not in person yet).

This could be something I heard somewhere or made up just now in my head… but I believe if you call the game warden and explain, they may issue you another tag. I think they keep the carcass though…

In any case, it’s hard to beat veal.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of the the I probably would just shoot it. I like to eat young deer. I shot a fox the other day that was limping very bad I was guessing he got thumped by a car call it a mercy killing or what but better than a yote killing him cause he can't run away.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good choice. Sorry bout the dog. Springers kick ass. I've had some awesome ones. Just got a Boykin. Don't effing know why though.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good choice. Sorry bout the dog. Springers kick ass. I've had some awesome ones. Just got a Boykin. Don't effing know why though.

I have hunted behind one.Boykin and that guy has me thinking if I don't get another lab they would be top of the list. He was an impressive dog.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since you are talking "behind", you are talking upland. If this Boykin is 75% of the upland Hunter my current springer is, I will keep him in suppose. But, he has big shoes to fill. She was damn good this weekend . Sorry for the thread hijack.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77