Pheasant Recipes

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the season underway and hopefully I have some luck and bag a few ditch parrots. So what is everyone's favorite pheasant recipe?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to make pheasant noodle soup. Another favorite in my house is to bread and fry the breast just like fish.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cube up pheasant, or leave in peices if you keep it all, brown up in oil, add some carrots, celery, onion, sauté for 5, drain off, toss in a box of uncle bens wild rice but substitute 10 oz of water for a can of beef consommé, done

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anything you do with chicken is fine IMHO. Had a perfect head/neck shot ONCE. Tried to pluck it for roasting...eff that shiite:mad:. Ended up skinning and boiling the whole carcass. Bones picked clean and meat back in pot along with all the ingredients for "chicken" soup. Good stuff. If I do this again, I'm going to retain the feet for the initial boil. This is a good method as ALL the meat is used and palatable.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinkn' and drinkn'. I believe my above would be great with a limit of birds. Never too much meat.:D You could add some cornstarch and also make/add some dumplings....That would be a hell of a meal!! OR...make this stew thick enough to fill pie crusts...May want to strain the original water for shot if you're not able to direct your charge with my same perfection.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've tried numerous ways but crock potting the breasts is still the best. half and half with cream of chicken soup and cream of mushroom soup. then sprinkle lipton onion soup mix on the top. cook for 6-8 hrs. use the soup for gravy on spuds.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Made some pheasant jalapeno poppers last night that were very yummy. Seasoned cream cheese in half of a cleaned out jalapeno topped with a strip of pheasant breast wrapped in bacon. Put in the smoker for about 1/2 hr then finished on the grill to crisp up the bacon. They were very very good. The cream cheese helps cut down on the heat of the jalapenos so they aren't all that spicy either.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
pheasant fries up great, follow any fried chicken recipe where they bake it after a quick fry. Fantastic. Eating meat off the bone is an old school pleasure. Just ate one tonight. Superb.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use it for stir fry. Cook the pheasant with a little hoisin sauce and onions. Dump in vegetables and cook til tender. Pile on white or brown rice.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use it for stir fry. Cook the pheasant with a little hoisin sauce and onions. Dump in vegetables and cook til tender. Pile on white or brown rice.

Stir fry is always a classic. But let's not forget the deliciousness of going full fat kid mode and frying lightly breaded pheasant strips with a healthy amount of cold beer as a side dish

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cube breasts into nugget sized pieces.

Season to taste whether it be flour salt/pepper etc or a commercial coating like shore lunch or Frying' Magic

Brown nuggets fairly quickly, don't fully cook them

Assuming you're feeding ~4 ready 1/2 bag/box of stuffing unless you like leftovers, then make it all, Use chicken broth instead of water, it tastes better. We like to add in a package of original or chicken flavored Lipton wild rice to the stuffing, but it's optional.

Place browned nuggets into a cook-in bag for no mess, or the bottom of a roaster if it's not your turn to do the dishes

Cover the nuggets with your stuffing and place in 350 degree oven for ~45min. If using a cook-in bag, cut the top off @ 45min and place back in the oven for ~15min, if using roaster, remove cover @ 45min and cook an additional 15. The idea behind the last step is to crisp up the top layer of stuffing.

I like a little gravy with the above. One can save the browning drippings, use some chicken broth/cornstarch, or Heinz Turkey gravy in the glass jar is pretty good when you're in a pinch/hurry.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly? Ground pheasant leg burgers. No guff. You get a TON of meat off the legs, and grinding them is the easiest way (IMHO) to get all those darn tendons out.

What I do is get the legs off like you normally would with a game bird, then spend a second or two snagging the easiest tendons with a pliers and yanking them out. These are the hardest ones and most like bone, and sometimes get ground up in with the meat (no bueno). After that, simply make a stack of leg meat chunks and send them through the grinder. If you did a good job with the big tendons, all the rest of the little, frustrating bastages will be stuck harmlessly to the grinder plate.

I wound up with 12 pounds of ground pheasant last year and it was all from the legs.

As I said, my favorite is burgers (just season to taste, form into patties and throw on the grill). But we also like to make pheasant lettuce wraps, sloppy Joes and tacos.

My 2-year-old gobbles it all up, as does the wife. If they'll eat it, you know it's good!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anyone in Fargo area doesn't want them I will take any/all pheasant legs/thighs I can get my hands on! MUCH prefer them to the breasts. (for classic fried pheasant anyway)

- - - Updated - - -

or the bottom of a roaster if it's not your turn to do the dishes

51adQVwvvML_SX300_-1.jpg

511lsTMtmBL-1.jpg

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Being an easterner I am no pheasant chef but I did make a bunch of pheasant jalapeno poppers last year that turn out great.

Half a bunch of jalapenos and remove seeds
soften cream cheese and season with whatever you have on hand
stuff jalapeno with cream cheese and a thin strip of pheasant breast
wrap the whole thing with bacon and sprinkle with tatonka dust
smoke at 225° for an hour or so then finish is the oven or on the grill to crisp them up.

This doesn't really pertain to the conversation but I've done this same recipe with shrimp and pork sausage instead of pheasant. I image you can use pretty much anything you have on hand and it would still be good.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
As mentioned in an earlier post..I also grind a good number of my birds. I send bacon pieces thru the grinder at the same time. Mix in nicely. Patty and freeze for when you want to put them on the bar-b. The moisture(and flavor) of the bacon make it one tasty pheasant burger!!:;:thumbsup

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
my dad slices the breasts and uses jerky seasoning on them and smokes them to make jerky

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made buffalo pheasant tacos for the guys at our pheasant camp Sunday night. It's always a favorite of the guys. I strip some pheasant breasts and use Hooter's wing breading then deep fry them. Next I coat them in a buffalo sauce. Make your tacos and use a ranch or blue cheese dressing instead of sour cream and taco sauce.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 121
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 73