What I love most about shore fishing is......?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like watching the dogs, and just being able to relax a litter more. If I have a good spot and can catch fish, I'll choose to shore fish before a boat.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
It has a real nostalgia for me. It's what I grew up with. My mother loved it. I prefer the boat today, but shore fishing will always be fun to me.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love shore fishing when I have my kids with. That way if they get board they can go play. If I'm by myself or with adults its the boat.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on the situation, shore fishing can oftentimes outfish the floating angler. There have been many times in the chutes of Garrison Tailrace where the shore fishermen are catching significantly more fish than the boaters. I like to shore fish because it's much less equipment intensive. I grab my rod, backpack, my fish basket, and I'm off. Usually I'm the only one on the river and it's amazing how much wildlife will pay absolutely no attention to you when you're fishing. Deer, mink, beavers, otters, waterfowl, racoons, muskrats, and many more critters have just walked, flown, or swam right by me without a second glance.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with you kdm! I see a lot more camera flashes on the shore of the tailrace while I'm in the boat. I also like the idea that you're following the natural feeding pattern of the walleyes/baitfish. Little fish come shallow at night and the walleyes push them up even shallower.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ir really does relieve stress when fishing with the kids. If we are in the boat and aren't catching many fish the kiddos get pretty bored. I'm going to have to find a few good spots to shore fish so we can have a good balance of entertainment and success while fishing. All I've only been able to catch northerns and catfish. Would like to figure out how to pull in some walleyes.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
1 have a couple of spots where I can park close to the water and catfish (catch a few walleyes, big pike etc) at night to where I can sneak a nap and the wife watches the lines.

2 Dont have to worry about a boat, motor, trailer etc.

3 can switch lakes or areas on a lake easily

4 can set up the lawn chairs and the laptop and watch movies when the fishing is slow.

5 take the grill and have some good food (about the time I start to dig into the grub the fish decide they need to bite and my food gets cold.

6 easier to take a bathroom break when on shore most of the time.

and many many more

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kids can run around when they get bored, myself I get to pick up lost cranks on the shore and play with the kids, grill+++, have lots of people join in the fun

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grew up shore fishing the banks of the Missouri with my dad and brothers. Don't do much shore fishing anymore these days as I like to be able to hop around in a boat if a spot is a bust. Still do some fishing from shore if the weather is bad or I just don't feel like dealing with the boat. I enjoy the ease of shore fishing...not much to worry about except for maybe running out of adult beverages.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shore fishing is great until a slip on the riprap breaks your poles and tailbone

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree with the relaxing part. Generally it is a lot slower pace and if you find the right place you don't have a lot of company.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Audrey Grad Wrestling 2013 020.jpgShore fishing on Fathers Day 2 years ago. No one else around, just me the wife and dogs

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69