Crank Bait Holder and organization

PapaWoodie

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you guys use to hold your shad raps etc? Do you use different size tackle carries for different size cranks?

How do you organize your cranks? Do you put the same MFGR and size together, or keep many manufacturers together in the same box and organize by size? Organize by use?

Looking to organize my setup (about 100 cranks) and havent taken them out of the packages yet.

Any links/pics to what you use to keep them organized is appreciated!

PapaWoodie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like those.....I can see them being beneficial for a novice "crank'r". Im just getting started and probably need to be able to see the units and have a sticker yet for line out/depth graphs for each style of crank.

Its exactly what I'm looking for.....specialized units for cranks. Just having a hard time thinking of buying 10 or so clear plastic onces...arg!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Those B&B look good. This is the year that I ramp up my cranking. If I can add a question onto this topic, does everyone use the precision trolling app? or the bible? or just wing it? I'm not sure where to start. App could get spendy.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the bible for my depth charts. My cranks are just thrown into a box works great till I need one and 30 of them come out all stuck together. That B&B box looks good I might have to get a couple.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the crank caddy. I bought 6 when they were 25% off at Scheels. But at $20 a box I think they are a bit pricey.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
The crank canvas looks pretty cool as well but you are limited on size of cranks you can carry in it. I think they are working on a larger one, going by what the guy at the sports show said

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've come to the conclusion that there is no perfect way to store cranks. I've tried every combination, every tray, yet I still have issues. For shad raps and flicker shads, the crank Caddy seems to be the best in terms of amount of lures stores to cost of unit. I have one for my floaters and husky jerks and it is still a mess. I have a crank canvass too. If you're fishing out of your boat all the time, I think they'd be handy. However, I shore fish, use my boat, go with friends or my dad, and I end up having to drag too much stuff along. So if anyone wants one, I'll sell it to you.

LiebelsGuide

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those B&B look good. This is the year that I ramp up my cranking. If I can add a question onto this topic, does everyone use the precision trolling app? or the bible? or just wing it? I'm not sure where to start. App could get spendy.

Get the app and buy the lifetime membership, all the data is downloaded on your phone so you do not need cell service. With the lifetime membership its a one time fee and you get all future updates. It is pricey compared to other apps but if you compare it to the old books its much better, since it can always be updated.

freiday31

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get the app and buy the lifetime membership, all the data is downloaded on your phone so you do not need cell service. With the lifetime membership its a one time fee and you get all future updates. It is pricey compared to other apps but if you compare it to the old books its much better, since it can always be updated.

^^^^^this^^^^^

PapaWoodie

Founding Member
Founding Member
$109.99 for lifetime membership. Humph. That is spendy. I don't see a place to create an account on the app. If i switch from this old Driod to another phone, do i need to repurchase again? Lord knows some day i'll be in the drink and I will need to get a new phone.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
On iphone your apps are connected to your apple account. On droid its connected to your google play account. So as long as you get a new phone with the same platform you will be fine.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plano 3700 and 3701 for me. I melted the dividers in with my solder gun and so far seems like a good mod.

when they get smashed or otherwise damaged I just chuck em in the trash and swap over to new.

i buy them off EBay in bulk packs, can't remeber the price.

- - - Updated - - -

http://m.ebay.com/itm/141623873629?nav=SEARCH

i use cheap bags from cabelas that hold 5 3700's and have all my gear set up and labeled.

Bass Mafia makes really tough 3700 size boxes, I got a couple of them, I use one for terminal gear and its perfect for me.

So I have storage be the garage for boxes, my truck has a decked truck bed storage system and the boat gear storage is designed around the 3700.

my bait storage is simple and flows from garage to boat though truck easy.

baits still get tangled 😡😡

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried many different things. about ten years ago I settled on my current setup and think it's working great. I have a cabelas magnum tackle bag. I can put nine or ten plano boxes in there. I have three of the thin ones and six or seven of the deep ones. I have one big one that is full of just reef runner deep divers. then I have sorted the other boxes with different cranks based on their running depth. and then have those sub divided into which brand of crank. All the cranks have hook bayonets on them so they won't tangle up.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
crank caddy. and yes to the lifetime subscription to the precision trolling app. and yes, as long as you don't switch operating systems (droid to apple or apple to droid) it's just a simple redownload to the new phone and do the updates and your good to go. i haven't done much cranking, but am going to get after it big time this year.

PapaWoodie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I decided to try out 2 of the plano 787 boxes and see how they work for me. Im sure i'll figure out a better system next year...but these seem to be able to hold plenty of cranks, able to organize them easily, and in floor storage in the boat will tuck them away until needed. They are hard case that holds plano 3700's like you guys mentioned.

Scheels has them in stock, but found them online with no tax/shipping for about $20 a box cheaper.

Might as well wait for these as I'm waiting for the boat to be delivered to the dealership from the manufacturer. Ordering a boat from the St Paul boat show might not have been such a good idea. To close to good fishing time. Next time I'll stick to an in stock boat rather than custom ordering....well....maybe not. Nice getting exactly what you want...but the 8 week wait really sucks!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not confident i wouldn't switch from Android to Apple......Hard to tell as I haven't checked into phones yet. Guess I'll wait on that large purchase until I decide.

Wishiniwasfishin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have ran a crank caddy for a few years now and i dont mind them its about the best thing that fits my needs. the trays are kinda cheap but i think the newer ones are better. One thing to remember with crank caddys is that all ways store with latches up.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have ran a crank caddy for a few years now and i dont mind them its about the best thing that fits my needs. the trays are kinda cheap but i think the newer ones are better. One thing to remember with crank caddys is that all ways store with latches up.

I won't brag about their quality. They warp a little and not perfect, but they do the best organizing for my liking. I have 6 trays now and they're all full. I'm getting addicted to buying more cranks every time they are on sale.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I decided to try out 2 of the plano 787 boxes and see how they work for me. Im sure i'll figure out a better system next year...but these seem to be able to hold plenty of cranks, able to organize them easily, and in floor storage in the boat will tuck them away until needed. They are hard case that holds plano 3700's like you guys mentioned.

Scheels has them in stock, but found them online with no tax/shipping for about $20 a box cheaper.

Might as well wait for these as I'm waiting for the boat to be delivered to the dealership from the manufacturer. Ordering a boat from the St Paul boat show might not have been such a good idea. To close to good fishing time. Next time I'll stick to an in stock boat rather than custom ordering....well....maybe not. Nice getting exactly what you want...but the 8 week wait really sucks!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not confident i wouldn't switch from Android to Apple......Hard to tell as I haven't checked into phones yet. Guess I'll wait on that large purchase until I decide.

Worst case scenario you could always buy an old used phone or even an ipod. They will run the apps fine and cell service isn't required for the app from what I've read. The app is 100% stored on the device with all the info.

PapaWoodie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the idea of the book on cell phone, but also like the idea of a laminated sheet inside each box of cranks taped to the inside (if you have the cranks sorted correctly in each box) Probably have to buy the app, then create a few excel spreadsheets and print/laminate/tape.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67