Sugar Beats for Dinner

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You stopped by the house tonight and brought a gift: a sugar beat picked up off the shoulder of the road. Like any good host, You cleaned it and I diced it, tossed in olive oil with a dash of salt and pepper, baked for 30 minutes at 350.

Verdict: sugar beats are delicious table fair. Kind of a cross between a red beat and a potato. Less mess than a traditional beat and very sweet. I think cut into fries and deep fried would be out of this world. Even baked, it browned a little bit and carmelized itself.

So when you see those beats on the side of the road either toss them back on the pile or eat em!

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put them in my deer bait deer love them and they last longer then the corn

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eat one raw and you will have the sugar rush of a life time. Its how I would stay awake while hauling them down by Wahpeton when I was in college.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently noticed in stores the soda is saying made with real sugar. It's about time they stop poisoning us with that chemically made high fructose corn syrup. Your supporting agriculture with either product so lets support the one that doesn't make you gut hang over your belt like a plastic bag full of jello.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always wondered why they never made ethanol with them, I assume economics.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You suggested we collect all we can find from the ditches and make sugar beat moonshine. I'm in agreement.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
WTH... I want to try beet wine. I've been short-changed! You have to "know somebody"?

Guywhosfancy, I think wine would be a waste of excellent ditch fruit. But then again I don't hunt with a poodle.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76