Dog Allergies

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awhile back there was a thread where several people mentioned food allergies causing ear infections and other issues with dogs. I have a 1yr gsp who has gotten a couple ear infections and has cronic goupy eyes. The vet said just give her benadryl. The Benadryl helps but I would like to find out what is causing it.

Has any one else had similar issues?

Those that changed your dog's diet what kind of food did you get? I currently feed her Purina proplan sport 30/20.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grain free
Poultry free (duck is OK)

corn is bad
chicken is bad

Try Purina ProPlan duck and brown rice. Worked for goupy-eyed Royce. Tried quite a few to arrive at that. Then again maybe he just outgrew his allergies?

keep trying different brands

FYI salmon is an ingredient that creates farts from hell

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does Royse get some Stella mixed in on occasion?

No sadly. He's never had human food, not a morsel, that we've had anything to do with. Beer included. When we eat he goes and eats his food or lays down. He doesn't know what begging is because it's never paid off in 3 yrs so he doesn't even realize he should be trying it. He'd get scolded if he did though... galwhofishes is a disciplined dog owner. But Royce and we both benefit in the long run... Never any friction/bitching/mooching/begging. Weird but it works like magic.

He does have treats though. Homemade with liver, steel cut oats, eggs, yadda that galwhofishes makes for tricks or reward for catching skweels.

- - - Updated - - -

Once a week Royce gets a tbsp coconut oil mixed in his kibble. Holy moly does he like that. Glossy coat and brain food thing according to galwhofishes.

- - - Updated - - -

We tried other oils but tiny amounts of horrific smelling butt residue leakage occurred. None with coconut oil.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
We tried other oils but tiny amounts of horrific smelling butt residue leakage occurred. None with coconut oil.[/QUOTE]

So your saying she let u back into bed.:;: My dog gets way to much human food might be why she is a little over weight. But she does not beg so I'm fine with that.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks, I'll have to try her on the duck and rice.

My wife stocks coconut oil but so far I've manged to keep her latest health fads away from the pooch and I. I'll have to warn her about the anal leakage!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
My GWP had chronic ear infections on Purina Pro Plan. Switched to NutriSource high performance and they cleared up. He'll still get the occasional one, usually right after the first hunt or two of the season, but the are much more infrequent now. Before switching, he was getting an ear infection every 3-4 weeks it seemed.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
My older Setter, Buck, used to get ear infections all the time. We switched the brand Professional Lamb & Rice formula and it has worked great! We stay away from chicken and grains. Also, we buy generic Benadryl from WalMart and he gets a couple twice a day in his food. He hasn't had an ear infection for a few years now.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
How's the ear canal hair situation? Royce gets his yoinked out by galwhofishes every month or so. He friggin' hates it but it seems to help with the ear scratching and infections.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My female silver lab is allergic to most proteins and grains, not the cheapest out there but canine caviar is phenomenal food and you'll feed less due to calorie content and fat levels, many varieties and if not available in your area order from chewy.com, no tax and free shipping

they are one of very few that have single protein single carb foods, potatoes are not in a dogs diet, white potatoe has a lot of allergy issues. They also claim that their food puts a dogs chemistry into an alkaline state and that cancers only can develop in an acid body chemistry

Last edited:

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy - not sure if this was directed at me, by Buck's ear hair isn't bad. Every 3 months or so I trim it with scissors. Nothing major, but I think it helps keep it cleaner for sure.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was directed broadly - but mostly at OP.

We pull it because it's so dense down deep into the canal that trimming really doesn't get the air flow/cooling going.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Her ears a pretty clear. I threw the ear infections in because that's where the diet was brought in in anouther thread. She had one bad one where the vet put her on antibiotics. Lately we just clean them weekly and they don't get bad. I have a 14yr golden retriever that gets ear infections if she sees water.

Thanks to all for the differnt suggestions on food!

I think I will try the Purina first and then other brands. The couple times my golden has had other brands there has been major messes to clean up.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dogfoodanalysis.com is also a great, independent website to compare foods when looking at switching

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
th

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105