Calling all Czech and Bohemians

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Growing up mom's side of the family had a good jaternice (pronounced itherniza) recipie. It's pork/liver/garlic/majoram/rice or bread.....Anyway, mom can't seem to find the original recipie. Any of you Walsh County area folks have a recipie laying around you're willing to share?

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member

I did see that one. Thanks. There are several recipies out there and the difference between them depends on where the immigrants came from. The one I remember I think used bread and maybe rice or barley, and way more garlic and spices. You would eat it and your skin would stink for 2-3 days....seriously, it was that good! I'm hoping to find someone from the NE part of the state (where my mother's family homesteaded to) that would have a "local" recipe.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did see that one. Thanks. There are several recipies out there and the difference between them depends on where the immigrants came from. The one I remember I think used bread and maybe rice or barley, and way more garlic and spices. You would eat it and your skin would stink for 2-3 days....seriously, it was that good! I'm hoping to find someone from the NE part of the state (where my mother's family homesteaded to) that would have a "local" recipe.

Can't help you with anything from my ancestors unless you need a lutefisk recipe!!!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been reading up on jaternice online and it reminded me of breakfast sausage from the Langdon nd meat locker, because you remembered the garlic which is one of the choices. Other than that I'm just commenting on your post.

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just looked on L+M meats website under specialty products. They make Jaternice They are located at Grand Forks.:;:howdy

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Growing up mom's side of the family had a good jaternice (pronounced itherniza) recipie. It's pork/liver/garlic/majoram/rice or bread.....Anyway, mom can't seem to find the original recipie. Any of you Walsh County area folks have a recipie laying around you're willing to share?

I know exactly what you are talking about. My dad eats it all the time, it had pearl barley in it. He still gets it from L&M in Grand Forks. I will see if he has a recipe. Basicly everything left over from pig you think is edible in the grinder - garlic until you can eat it. He is 100% czech from the great land you reference, so expect L&M to be good source as well.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
jaternice (pronounced itherniza), seriously how do you get that pronunciation? Im not an english major but it seems WAAAAY off....

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
jaternice (pronounced itherniza), seriously how do you get that pronunciation? Im not an english major but it seems WAAAAY off....

Lycanthrope you didn't get a rep pt from worm the pillowbiter and brought back dah old hood rat? Also I am glad you brought up the pronunciation of jaternice, I was talking to grandma about any recipes and she said it was pronounced yirtnicky.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member

I know exactly what you are talking about. My dad eats it all the time, it had pearl barley in it. He still gets it from L&M in Grand Forks. I will see if he has a recipe. Basicly everything left over from pig you think is edible in the grinder - garlic until you can eat it. He is 100% czech from the great land you reference, so expect L&M to be good source as well.

You are exactly correct! We would get Laddies (L&M) from time to time and it is good, but not quite the same. If you could find a recipe that would be great, I want to learn to make it as my boys like to make sausage and I'm hoping to make some over Thanksgiving when they are home. I'm hoping to bypass the hog head route and make it using pork butts and liver. It's important to maintain heritage in this day and age.

Thanks guys.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of those Czechs are tight lipped on recipes. Some of my distant family members will still not hand down a few secret sausage recipes

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn't that sad? What's the purpose if it dies with them?

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I've never understood people who don't like to share recipes. Unless you have a secret recipe for a business purpose and are making money from it, don't tell me you don't share......get over yourself!!!!! :;:lame

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grandma, (on Dad's side) was bad like that. She finally softened up in later years and let Mom cook with her. She had NOTHING written down!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69