Yup, another newbie...

Abertax

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just want to introduce myself. My name is Chris and I own Aber Taxidermy. I want to thank all who have given me good reviews and only hope I can live up to them. On that note I also want to let everyone know that being a one man show I am quite far behind.... year and a half on a lot of my stuff. Not where I want to be but really don't want to farm out any of my work either. If you pay for my work, you should expect to get my work. I'm glad to recommend other taxidermists also... enough work out there for all of us. There are a lot of great taxidermists in the tri state area! Always open to questions on mounts, skinning, handling, freezing, I'll do my best to answer with any knowledge I have.
I look forward to this site and hope that I can learn a few things!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey, welcome to NDA!! I have two giant pure-strain American black ducks from Prince Edward Island, Canada, as well as a true bull gadwall from South Dakota. Both have been in my freezer for over a year in plastic grocery bags. Dumb, I know. Sure they're all toast, but in your expert opinion, would they be salvageable to mount or should I turn them into jerky?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Chris!!! Glad to see you on hear and that you have plenty to do!!! However, I'm still bringing my stuff to you. I'll wait as long as it takes to have you and your artistic skills preserve my trophies!!! Welcome!!!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Welcome! I have seen your work at kdm's house. Very nice. I would like a pintail like kdm has.

Brooks

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen ur work as well, very nice. Not singling u out but IMO when taxidermist hit that 18-24 month turnaround period I think they need to take on less work. There's no reason guys should have to wait that long to get there stuff back.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen ur work as well, very nice. Not singling u out but IMO when taxidermist hit that 18-24 month turnaround period I think they need to take on less work. There's no reason guys should have to wait that long to get there stuff back.

Or charge more.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

my taxidermist has rounded year three on my wife's and brother's deer. I'll take 18 months any day of the week.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm on TEAM OP. If someone wants MY work then they will wait and pay for it.

Brooks

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
3 yr. wait is pathetic and lazy on the taxidermists part.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Chris!!! Glad to see you on hear and that you have plenty to do!!! However, I'm still bringing my stuff to you. I'll wait as long as it takes to have you and your artistic skills preserve my trophies!!! Welcome!!!

This I will wait to get my mounts back for top of the line work. I know there are some guys that do great work with quicker turn around times but a lot of the quick turn around time work isn't up to my liking. A good quality mount will last a life time waiting a couple years if a guys has to is worth it to me. There is a reason some of these guys a super busy and have longer wait times=they do great work and guys want them doing there mounts.

Welcome to the NDA forums Chris.

Abertax

Founding Member
Founding Member
Duckslayer... Freezer birds.

Hey, welcome to NDA!! I have two giant pure-strain American black ducks from Prince Edward Island, Canada, as well as a true bull gadwall from South Dakota. Both have been in my freezer for over a year in plastic grocery bags. Dumb, I know. Sure they're all toast, but in your expert opinion, would they be salvageable to mount or should I turn them into jerky?
Duckslayer,
I've had birds(my own and family)in the freezer for three years and they have been mounted with no problems. As long as they are wrapped tight in plastic(never use newspaper or towels) they should be fine. Since we use artificial heads and sometimes artificial feet the worry of freezer burn isn't as bad. Depending on when they were shot... pinfeathers are your biggest worry, all else can be fixed. Bring them in to your favorite taxidermist and have them take a look. Of course I would gladly look at them and tell you weather or not they would work.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
DB, surely you didn't come over here just to pick fights...

Abertax

Founding Member
Founding Member
I completely agree with not having to wait that long! I hate that I'm so far behind and that's why I let people know up front and also give other taxidermists names out that I trust to do a nice job. I want every outdoorsman to be happy with their mounts whether it's my work or not. My pet peeve is going cheap, getting an "It's ok" mount and then a few years down the road throwing it away because it's not nice to look at. Good taxidermy should last your lifetime and then some.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
But you are, that's how it is and you're upfront about it. If you're indeed lazy it's good to see you're still bringing in the jack. I'm jealous.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69