New Clam Auger Plate

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just picked up the Clam auger plate over the lunch hour at Cabela's and with this new version you don't have to remove the chuck. Also picked up the Eskimo 6 inch hand auger to pair it with.

After using a friend's setup last winter this will be my main winter auger other than trips to Winnipeg.

IMG_6255.jpg

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice. Keep me posted how this works for you. I have the same Milwaukee fuel 18 drill with 8 inch Kluge. I don't have the clam auger plate. Mine worked like a charm all winter. except during thick ice, when I brought out the trusty model 30 jiffy with extension.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice, Used a friends several times last year and it worked great. Any idea if there would be a reason one couldn't use a dewalt brushless drill? I have all dewalt tools so for the purpose of not having multiple types of batteries/chargers around I would prefer to use a dewalt.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
My information I got...from some video from Kluge drill..is that the new(last year) Fuel Milwaukee 18 had longer cold weather battery life and all steel chuck and proper torque so Kluge recommended Milwaukee fuel 18. I needed new power tools so I bit the bullet. But it works great.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure a newer Dewalt would work just fine. I know they recommended the Fuel at the time because of the high torque (725 in-lbs), light weight and long run time, but I'm sure other manufacturers have caught up. I do like the Milwaukee warranty of 5 years for the drill and 3 for the batteries.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably so Musky! I think the all steel chuck and gear box is the biggest reason though. Not as likely to strip. Check it out though Nxtgen. If your dewalt has that..probably ok.
I also got one of this units and no longer need LED's in the portable house..use this Milwaukee light with my other Milwaukee battery and all is super duper. Geez. don't get me wishing for ice season yet! haha
Milwaukee 2361-20 M1…
$99.00

Last edited:

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure a newer Dewalt would work just fine. I know they recommended the Fuel at the time because of the high torque (725 in-lbs), light weight and long run time, but I'm sure other manufacturers have caught up. I do like the Milwaukee warranty of 5 years for the drill and 3 for the batteries.

Warranty will be a key factor. The one I used last year was sent back for chuck repairs twice (not me operating luckily). I will have to dig into this a little more. I knew the torque was a reason for the recommendation but never thought about them having varying chuck and gear box materials.
I do know that if possible get the 5.0 ah batteries. The 4.0 were not lasting as long towards the end of the winter.

- - - Updated - - -

Dewalt = Glock

I love my Milwaukee M18 tools! They are leaps and bounds ahead of everybody else when it comes to cordless tools.

I definitely do not have an issue with the M18 line. I have always heard good things about them. Just in an effort to keep the different batteries and chargers to a minimum I've just always had dewalt and to be honest I've never had any issues other than it seemed like the 18v batteries never lasted.

f7_2003_97x

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought one a few weeks ago. Clam plate with clam 6" auger. I put my old craftsman 19.2 on it. It works. Cuts really good. Drill might be a hair underpowered but it's paid for so I used it. Maybe upgrade drill next season

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scored the clam plate today, will team with an 8" K Drill and bought the fuel 18 at home depot. Came with charger and 3 - 5.0 batteries. I think the 5.0's are a step up from last year?
Who out there has used the m 18 and how's the battery life?

Founding Member
Founding Member
Battery life is good on a foot or less of ice. 8" k drill gets to be quite a bit once the ice gets any thicker. I have it on a tanaka gas power head and I never plan on taking my Milwaukee drill on the ice again. Only weighs 17 lbs and makes drilling holes easy. We drill lots of holes a day so that makes a difference also. On 20" last year the m18 barely got 8 holes on a 4.0 before switching to a new battery.

Ndakotaboy73

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased the Mora 6" drill with 1/2 inch adaptor last year. Powered with a Dewalt 20 volt XR all last season. I carried 2 batteries with me and only needed them when drilling lots of holes (30+) and it was really cold. I drilled hundreds of holes with this setup and never had an issue even during late ice. I didn't pull out the gas auger (Strikemaster with 4 stroke honda) at all during the season.

The nice thing with this setup is that I could leave the drill in the back seat and grab it as I moved around the lake in the pickup. From the time I'd put the pickup iin park until I was fishing was less than a minute. Absolutely loved this setup for trolling new lakes.

I don't have the adaptor plate nor do I plan to get one. Just need to make sure you brace yourself a little so that it doesn't spin out. I'm no featherweight so this isn't a problem. ;)

The 6" hole isn't an issue with most fish. Brought a 27" walleye and a 10+ pike through these holes with no problem. Only thing that sometimes happens with the smaller holes is fouling on the transducer. Didn't lose too many fish to this so not a deal breaker. When we fished in the house I'd drop the ducer down the dead stick hole if I had any concerns.

Several folks saw me on the ice with this setup and are moving towards it this year (assuming we get ice). I won't be going back to the "old way" anytime soon.

Last edited:

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
The way this winter is going my set up may be the way to do it this winter. Eventually I may get the tanaka head too. Cant beat the weight of any of these set ups mentioned above. My old sore back will thank me.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Idk. By the time u purchase a gas drill u could just as well get a two stroke auger. To much emphasis on gear leads to less fishing time

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like light and and I fish plenty. Tinkering with the gear becomes a hobby and I like hobbies

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86