Deer Age Guessing

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every year there are a couple posts about deer age. I have started a couple and have seen many others too. Same goes for what a deer will score.

So I'll start it out. Just had a buck run through in the last couple days that you can not guess by antler size. You will see why. So by body structure how old do you think this buck is?

My guess is 3-4 or older. I am talking about the 3x3 (large spike). I have video, but haven't figured out how to post it from the trail cam format.

MFDC7333.jpgMFDC7465.jpgMFDC7477.jpg

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say 2.5 or 3.5 depending on the feed and or genetics in your area. If he survives until next year look for him to make a big jump antler wise.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would guess that is a 3.5 year old scrub and even if he make a 40" jump next year he will still be a scrub.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I often wonder how People can tell the age of a deer as it walks by them. I see it in hunting show all the time. Now I have deer hunted for over 45 yrs and cant tell. I can tell if it a mature deer but not the age. And I see it with people all the time.

Same with rack size. Many people have had deer run accross the road on them in the head light and tell me it was a nice 5 x 5 or a 10 pointed depending on where you live.

Am I missing something

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I often wonder how People can tell the age of a deer as it walks by them. I see it in hunting show all the time. Now I have deer hunted for over 45 yrs and cant tell. I can tell if it a mature deer but not the age. And I see it with people all the time.

Same with rack size. Many people have had deer run accross the road on them in the head light and tell me it was a nice 5 x 5 or a 10 pointed depending on where you live.

Am I missing something

saw a big 6x6 is always my favorite. The moment someone says that I stop listening. Unless it's a person that knows their stuff

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think on hunting shows they are documenting the herd on their property from birth to death and have a pretty good idea how old each buck is.

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
bears in the modern world - electric deer whats the age of that deer?

grizzlyrider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have asked myself this question many times over. And i do believe i am getting better at field judging deer but i am no pro for sure. does anyone know of a good site where a person can judge age and score to hone their skills.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have asked myself this question many times over. And i do believe i am getting better at field judging deer but i am no pro for sure. does anyone know of a good site where a person can judge age and score to hone their skills.

looks like there is a few sites out there where you can guess scores based on a quick google search. http://www.judgetherack.com
i just did this one quick. apparently I'm not very good. scored 87% I seemed better at getting closer on the 130-150 inch deer than the bigger ones and they show some doozys.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
My oldest boy can look at a rack and get with in a few inches. I use to make my living doing Taxidermy and Gunsmithing. I listened to lots of people and lots of storys. Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. I had so many 170 class deer come in. That what the hunter said. When most wouldnt make 140. It takes a hell of a deer to make 170.

Founding Member
Founding Member
We send all of our bucks teeth in each year, cementum age analysis is a good way to go if you really want to know.
My archery bull was 11.5 yrs old, I thought that was pretty darn cool!

IMG_1592_filtered (2)2.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79