Deer Based Breakfast Sausage???

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can anyone give me some guidance on some deer based breakfast sausage? I have a great ring bologna type sausage that works for breakfast. It's really heavy on the garlic. I'm looking for something more sage based and perhaps a country style. I have tried a few recipes I've found online and some commercially processed stuff and just can't find and in between. I just did up some elk with Hi Mountain Country Style and it's just OK. AC Leggs sage based breakfast sausage isn't too bad either.

Just curious what everyone likes?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've tasted a lot of good LOOKING venison breakfast sausage and it all went politely into a napkin. Guess I've been corrupted by Jimmy Dean. I wish you luck in the quest!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know man, I'm sorry. I guess I've never been hungry enough at the time. A lot of food I used to hate was delicious when I came in from work, hunting etc. Mom had a plate in the oven waiting for me and my world opened up to a lot of things. Still can't do raw onion. Blech!

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha, just giving you crap. Never been too fond of Jimmy Dean products, except for his music.

With that said, I have had some homemade sausage that was pretty terrible. We keep it simple. Venison, pork butts, salt, pepper, garlic, and of course smoke. Pairs well with a fine maple syrup. The real stuff

Last edited:

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to make breakfast, Italian an brats but after a couple batches we decided those should just be pork. Best breakfast sausage I ever had was just dalt n pepper. Lots of pepper. Guy won a competition put on by an Ohio buctcher association, beat out some Amish and German outfits that have been in bidness for decades.

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a great recipe at home. Wife, kids, and guests have all enjoyed it so I think it's pretty solid. I'll PM it to you tonight if I remember.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
every year i mix half pork half venison and add Leos country seasoning and vaccum seal. This is in the breakfast patty style. My family and friends love it. I also add some minced garlic. Delicious!

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I generally do a maple and regular (country) bulk breakfast sausage. I like having it to patty up or fry up for things and tend to use it faster that way.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have used the country sausage mix from L&M Meats in Grand Forks before. We always go 50/50 pork/venison. Personally I would take that over 100% pork sausage any day.
My favorite was called Hunters Sausage that we got from Super 1. It was fairly spicy. Unfortunately Super 1 was bought out by Hornbachers here in GF so that is no longer available in town.

hardwaterdriller

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like Grandpa Josh Breakfast Blend. Then also grind up some cloverdale maple bacon end and pieces to mix in. Makes a good maple bacon breakfast sausage.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That SOUNDS damn good HD...does this include venison? That's why I'm leery.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really hate to say this MM. It's the venison which kills it for me. Summer sausage is a different story. I've eaten some venison summer which was food of the gods.

hardwaterdriller

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually do the breakfast blend for last when making sausage. Do the Country and Polish batches first. If I have venison left, I will mix it in. Then the rest is straight pork breakfast. I usually do 60/40 pork/venison. It is probably one first sausage that is emptied out of the freezer. The maple bacon adds so much flavor. Tastes much better than the maple seasonings that you can buy (and bacon makes everything better).

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually do the breakfast blend for last when making sausage. Do the Country and Polish batches first. If I have venison left, I will mix it in. Then the rest is straight pork breakfast. I usually do 60/40 pork/venison. It is probably one first sausage that is emptied out of the freezer. The maple bacon adds so much flavor. Tastes much better than the maple seasonings that you can buy (and bacon makes everything better).

I'd surely eat the hell out of that without the deer.

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
we usually go 50/50 with the pork and deer, best 2 batches last year was a seasoning pack form John's meat market and the really good batch was seasoning from D and W meats added some pepper jack cheese and threw them in the smoker for a while, will definitely be doing this again shortly

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77