Birds that catch other birds...

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Driving home from work last week on N side of Bismarck, a dove flew across the road, right behind it came some sort of hawk which snatched it right out of the air about 30 yards in front of my car. Never seen anything like this live and it was quite impressive. What predatory birds do we have in this area that would prey on other birds while flying? Whatever it was was smaller than the common redtailed "chicken hawks" that are common to this area. Anyone see peregrine's much in ND? Any other ideas what it might have been? It all happened quite quickly so I didnt get a great look at the hawk, it was moving fast tho, probably twice the speed the dove was flying.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is something like 23 common raptors and a handful of other rare species that can be found in ND. Hard to know what you saw without pics.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw a redtail one day hold one to a sharpie by the head as it was flying that grouse was just flapping it wings to get away.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
These birds capture prey from cover or while flying quickly through dense vegetation, relying almost totally on surprise. One study showed that this is a quite dangerous hunting style. More than 300 Cooper's hawk skeletons were investigated and 23% revealed healed fractures in the bones of the chest.[SUP][3][/SUP] Cooper's hawks prey almost exclusively on small to mid-sized birds. Typical prey species include American robins, other thrushes, jays, woodpeckers, European starlings, quail, icterids, cuckoos, pigeons and doves. Birds preyed on can range in size from wood-warblers to ring-necked pheasants. They may also prey upon the raptor American kestrel and other smaller raptors, including their cousin the sharp-shinned hawk.[SUP][12][/SUP] They have been known to rob nests and may supplement their diet with small mammals such as chipmunks, hares, mice, squirrels, and bats.[SUP][3][/SUP] Even more rarely, they may prey on lizards, frogs, or snakes. It normally catches its prey with its feet and kills it by repeatedly squeezing it and holding it away from its body until it dies. They have also been seen drowning their prey, holding it underwater until it stops moving.[SUP][3][/SUP] The hawks often pluck the feathers off their prey on a post or other perch. They also hunt songbirds at backyard feeders, perching nearby then swooping down and scattering the birds to single one out in flight. They may pursue prey on the ground by half running and half flying.[SUP][5][/SUP]

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it was able to carry the dove either a cooper's hawk, male prairie falcon, or male peregrine falcon. Peregrines are usually thru Nodak by 1st of Oct though. If didn't fly far with dove, a sharp shinned hawk (smaller version of Cooper's) or a Merlin (Pigeon Hawk). Saw 2 merlins north of Bismarck yesterday.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
It carried it, not sure how far, but it didnt land right away. Im guessing it was a Coopers, I didnt see the stripes that P's have on them, but it was moving quick so I didnt get a great view. It was a pretty NEAT thing to see, nature....

sd fisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
American Kestral. We have lots of them around our place. Fun to watch them bust into an evergreen and scatter all the little song birds, although they raise heck around the feeders.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am almost 84% certain that these birds you saw were involved in a complex game of tag…sounds like the dove is now "it"…I wonder if the Hawk called no tag backs ???

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
American Kestral. We have lots of them around our place. Fun to watch them bust into an evergreen and scatter all the little song birds, although they raise heck around the feeders.

The kestral is a pretty looking bird too. One of my favorites to see on the ornithology trips in college.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Urkel.jpg

The kestral is a pretty looking bird too. One of my favorites to see on the ornithology trips in college.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had a peregrine falcon down on cottonwood lake that was feeding almost exclusively on Eurasian doves much of the summer. Last couple months there has been an ospray having a hay day on the blugills. Fun to watch them both do there thing. This spring just after the ospray caught a fish an adult bald eagle came rolling in full speed and all of a sudden we had a midair fight going on that was a blast to watch. I think the eagle eventually won because last time we saw them the ospray was doing dives into the eagle as it flew away.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If its not an eagle.....Its a Chicken Hawk

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe it was an owl, have been seeing a bunch of owls this fall. I always feel tempted to blast at them, but enjoy my nontarnished record of being a good fella, and would see no benefit in this behavior

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75