F'n beavers!!!!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Beavers have set up camp on the river next to my place and the corksuckers have decimated our choke cherry bushes. I got lead into one the other night. It spun around in the water for a good 5 minutes. Boy has been plinking at them a bit and wants to mark a couple kills but no pic = no kill. Daughter has seen 5. Can these be got during daylight? What does a guy use at night. I am borderline in town so i don't want bigger than.22. But what light and such?

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You need to up your game with a 223 or better yet a 243. With a good scope and a rest you should only need one shot per critter. Know your backstop. 22 rimfire is pretty weak for Beaver. JMHO.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Too loud. Not sure what neighbors would do. Busy highway nearby so that would help with noise. Trying to shoot straight down. Crap !!! One swam by while I checked my spelling

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are out of the city limits you can shoot anything you want. Regardless of what your neighbor may think. The law is on your side. Im completely surrounded by city limits. But we are township zoned and can legally shot. Sheriff stopped by one day when I was sighting in a rifle we talked for over a hr. He said some people heard shot and he came to see what was going on. I told him he are considered rural and township zoned. Didnt have a problem.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
State trapper should be able to help you out with nuisance beavers. Give'em a shout. Good Luck!!!

Brooks

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Quit ur whining and just trapp them. Beavers are the easiest damn thing to trap.

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trapping is much more efficient than shooting. The traps work all night. You could have all of those cleaned out in a few short nights. As mentioned above, they are very easy to catch. A tasty green popple bait stick (peeled at the top for extra eye appeal) and a little dab of beaver castor lure are all it takes to get them coming in to the traps. It looks like you are a little too far away or I would be glad to help you out. You may want to go with underwater sets if you have your dogs or neighbor dogs to worry about. I normally use a 330 body grabber trap, but if there are dogs out where I trap, they would deserve to get caught.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I will be sampling any beaver the way I shoot. Nap done, time to go back out there.

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thread title had me excited! There are definitely some I would eat.

Rustywaterdogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've killed plenty of them with a .22lr and a maglight. It's best if you have someone else hold the light if it's not mounted to your gun. Darn beavers sure know how to flood a pasture.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've killed plenty of them with a .22lr and a maglight. It's best if you have someone else hold the light if it's not mounted to your gun. Darn beavers sure know how to flood a pasture.

Dynamite must last a long time. Our neighbor who passed away six or seven years ago touched of two or three sticks in beaver dams every spring. I don't know how long it has been that a farmer can buy dynamite, but he has been blasting beaver dams as long as I can remember. He died, the kid drank himself to death, and it's quiet over there now.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77