Eating Pigeon

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently learned from guywhohuntsfood that bridge rats are worth eating. If you think about it, we eat grouse, geese, morning dove, and bear so pigeons can't really be any worse. Also, there's no season or license required to shoot pigeons. I'm thinking pigeon jerky to supplement my venison diet. Anyone with any experience eating wild pigeons?

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Knew a guy who cooked a bunch up and took them to a wild game feed, was the first dish gone. Don't think he ever did tell anyone what they were. Would think they would be a lot like dove.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend of my grandparents loved squab (baby pigeon). Would go around the neighborhood farms and collect little ones every year. Said they were excellent. #avianveal

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
They taste very good. Just about like a dove. I just take the breast off and fry it in butter with some salt and pepper. Make sure you know what they've been eating though. The ones out in the country are mainly eating grain, corn, and other crops. Ones in town eat anything lol

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to shoot and eat them all the time in high school. Then we opened up two from the same shoot that had neon green innards. Haven't had one since. I call it sight aversion.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually don't understand the curiosity as everyone gets very excited about dove and sharptail.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to shoot and eat them all the time in high school. Then we opened up two from the same shoot that had neon green innards. Haven't had one since. I call it sight aversion.

Well that's easy, don't open 'em.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member

And that is why I don't eat them. I think they are just a dirty bird.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, all that time spent in same fields as the doves is gross.

ever examine the crop contents you goofballs? Loaded with wheat, corn, yadda. You goofs talk like they eat carrion and maggots.

- - - Updated - - -

They are simply magnum doves.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good Eatin' Bird!! Nothing wrong with a country raised pigeon. That being said, I wouldn't even try eating a pigeon from INSIDE any city limits.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, all that time spent in same fields as the doves is gross.

ever examine the crop contents you goofballs? Loaded with wheat, corn, yadda. You goofs talk like they eat carrion and maggots.

- - - Updated - - -

They are simply magnum doves.

Agreed! So what do "city" pigeons eat? Poop? Good many of them hang around the local elevator. Sounds better than catching and eating fish downstream from the local poop plant discharge.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree... they eat pretty good so there is no good reason they shouldn't eat pretty good which is why we used to eat them and they were pretty good. Like I said, I just got me some sight aversion. That and I moved on to eating "game" birds as I aged and became more sophisticated in my proclivities.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Double "proclivities": Banner day without meaning "queer".

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77