Odd mice and how to get rid of them.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadow_jumping_mouse
9369671623_0d2d096c62_z.jpg

Just curious if anyone on here has trapping/elimination suggestions for getting rid of the little kangaroo like mice we have in ND. I have more than I care for and would love to put the harm to the population but the only thing I have found so far that works are glue boards, they don't go after peanut butter in standard mouse traps.

Any suggestions outside of getting a cat?

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member

Get a hazing paddle like this and start "twitching" the little bastages like...

...this guy would!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use d-con in my garage, and garden shed. I also have a cat that pretty much roams the entire neighborhood eliminating mice, moles, birds, and even once a squirrel. Not sure how he managed to win a squirrel battle, but he did.

I put d-con around the outside of my camper too, when stored for winter. We have never found any moose traces in our camper.

asfgdsaf.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
few things piss me off more than finding my stuff chewed up and defiled with mouse piss/droppings

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use d-con in my garage, and garden shed. I also have a cat that pretty much roams the entire neighborhood eliminating mice, moles, birds, and even once a squirrel. Not sure how he managed to win a squirrel battle, but he did.

I put d-con around the outside of my camper too, when stored for winter. We have never found any moose traces in our camper.

IMG_20160411_213706298.jpg

There are the black bait stations loaded with the green poison blocks available at Runnings in my shop. They seem to go unused.

I didn't realize I had much of a problem with rodents until I left the lid off the metal container of this variety holding the chicken scratch.
KEL%2008.jpg

I may have to start using sunflower seeds on the traps, they seem to really like them. For what it's worth, the little bastages can really jump. The galvanized metal can is 2 ft tall and they just jump up and in it. Of course, I now do a better job of leaving it covered, I'd have never guessed that mice could climb the exterior of the galvanized bucket, so they have to be jumping in. The glue boards seem to be ok, but a couple of times I have found them with mouse hair only as the mouse was gone. WTH kind of naked super mice I have outside of the standard deer mouse, voles, and jumping mouse I don't know. But I do know it's a very integrated society as I catch all but the jumpers on a regular enough basis.

They move in on me every year about this time. Rotten SOBs.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my 5 years of dealing with rodents in Navy facilities the first and most important step in mitigating a rodent infestation is sanitation. Take away their living spaces, food sources, and water. Remove those rubbish piles that produce hundreds of little mice. Seal up the access points into buildings and remove any and all food sources you can find. This will encourage the little buggars to look elsewhere for shelter and the other necessities of life. Once that is complete, start a rigorous trapping and poisoning program that won't endanger non target animals and people. Unfortunately, if you can't clean up or fix the first part of the equation, no amount of trapping or poisoning will make any difference. You will be fighting an endless supply of mice. Good Luck!!!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure about those mice, but I have voles in my yard occasionally and they are suckers for sweet apple slices stuck under the trigger of a rat trap. They also go for PB occasionally, more in the winter than during the summer.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
possible solution:

fill bottom of bucket a few inches with RV antifreeze

place a tall/heavy ceramic dog dish or some such in the bottom - filled with sunflower seeds, scratch, or whatever they seem to go gaga over

they'll leap in - chances of hitting ceramic dog dish (safe island) near zero I would imagine

or rivet some 1/2 cut aluminum cans half way up on the inside - and fill them with preferred bait (for smell/attractant).

many ways to skin the cat - objective is to lure them into the bucket to find their sweet/cold/wet demise

- - - Updated - - -

obviously a play on the north woods antifreeze bucket with peanut butter coated can on a rod - log rolling style

but since they don't dig peanut butter us other method to lure them down/in

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
we used to find them all of the time in our chicken feed garbage can. a big aluminum garbage can that they can't chew through. they would fall in and couldn't get out. i would have to dispose of them of course. but, it always had mice in it. when the water was high, we even had a few rats in it. ain't so sure your jumping mice couldn't get out thougn.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my 5 years of dealing with rodents in Navy facilities the first and most important step in mitigating a rodent infestation is sanitation. Take away their living spaces, food sources, and water. Remove those rubbish piles that produce hundreds of little mice. Seal up the access points into buildings and remove any and all food sources you can find. This will encourage the little buggars to look elsewhere for shelter and the other necessities of life. Once that is complete, start a rigorous trapping and poisoning program that won't endanger non target animals and people. Unfortunately, if you can't clean up or fix the first part of the equation, no amount of trapping or poisoning will make any difference. You will be fighting an endless supply of mice. Good Luck!!!

Yeah, that's a part of the problem for me. They aren't necessarily living in my shop, they appear to be living under the concrete slab and come in at night. Not saying my shop can't use a lot of cleaning because it sure could be neater, I just haven't found a nest. Glue boards by the entrance holes are what I am using with the most success right now, but I am also sure they can get in past the garage door. That'd be a lot more difficult to mouse-proof. So sealing up the holes in the wall would seem to be logical, but I am just thinking they would eventually chew their way back in or around any obstruction I put in place.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
possible solution:

fill bottom of bucket a few inches with RV antifreeze

place a tall/heavy ceramic dog dish or some such in the bottom - filled with sunflower seeds, scratch, or whatever they seem to go gaga over

they'll leap in - chances of hitting ceramic dog dish (safe island) near zero I would imagine

or rivet some 1/2 cut aluminum cans half way up on the inside - and fill them with preferred bait (for smell/attractant).

many ways to skin the cat - objective is to lure them into the bucket to find their sweet/cold/wet demise

- - - Updated - - -

obviously a play on the north woods antifreeze bucket with peanut butter coated can on a rod - log rolling style

but since they don't dig peanut butter us other method to lure them down/in[/QUOTE

put a good coat of peanut butter then roll it in a pan of sunflower seeds then you have two types of bait

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bait stations work great for this cowboy,I put two loaded up with poison bait in my shed near the slough out back(1st line of defense,then another two one on each corner of my enclosed pole barn2nd line of defense,then another two stations on the south side of the house facing the back 40,3rd line of defense,works like a champ,so far the last few years no house guests.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
After winterizing our camper a few weeks ago...I sure as heck hope the following helps with the mice issue out in our neck of the woods. Will find out next spring. It will not make me a happy camper if those damn mice wrecked our brand new camper/furniture. Did the decon thing around the outside. The underbelly of the camper is insulated so crawled underneath and TRIED to seal any holes that those damn things could get in. I did put a few sticky traps inside at different locations. Left the kitchen drawers open and empty. Even tried the old wife's tales about using dryer sheets and hedge balls and peppermint oil on cotton balls in case the mice didn't get the memo saying they didn't work. We shall see.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member

IMG_20160411_213706298.jpg

im in johnr boat....well not literally she cold and windy today but.. I use d-con around the garage as well as a few traps but the single most effective tool is the kitty cat. I argued with the wife for years about letting her get one. the mice ripped the interior of my old 96 Yukon up pretty bad last winter so I gave in. we have a "mouser" now that stays in the garage...well at least when im home. drug a bird in earlier this week. we will see how she does over the winter months

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made 3 northwood log roller sets in September.

I wanted a ramp that "traveled along" with the buckets so I could move them easy and they'd be compact

so I riveted sump pump hose to the side in a spiral staircase fashion

Stairway to Heaven model

2015-08-22 12.23.07.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure about those mice, but I have voles in my yard occasionally and they are suckers for sweet apple slices stuck under the trigger of a rat trap. They also go for PB occasionally, more in the winter than during the summer.

No shit? I've got voles and they make me insane. Only getting worse. Have never been able to trap or poison them. Never really seen them come above ground. Only one I have caught I shot water down a new hole and he had no where to go and stepped on him when he came out. I don't care if o snag every squirrel in the hood with apples if I get rid of those bastards I'll be happy.

- - - Updated - - -

No shit? I've got voles and they make me insane. Only getting worse. Have never been able to trap or poison them. Never really seen them come above ground. Only one I have caught I shot water down a new hole and he had no where to go and stepped on him when he came out. I don't care if I snag every squirrel in the hood with apples if I get rid of those bastards I'll be happy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69