Winterizing

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what are your guys' winterizing steps. I got started last night and when I got to my lower unit oil, it looks pretty milky. So, a new seal kit is in my future, but that next years problem.

Anyway, I typically just run the motor for 20 minutes with seafoam in tank, pull batteries, change lower unit oil, remove rods and equipment I might use for ice fishing and finish it off with some cab fresh throughout the boat and compartments. I read somewhere not to fog the motor any more but I know plenty of people that still do. Thoughts?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remove everything - I leave not a scrap of food, not even a single sunflower seed hull remains

nothing to tear up and make a into a home either for rodents - not even anchor rope

mice have zero reason to visit, let alone build nests and stay

since going this route I've never seen even a single dropping in my boat(s)

run the last trip with gas conditioner, tilt/drain, call it good

I should change fluids before storing like you do - but fluid changes, etc. are next spring's activity (after being cooped up all winter it feels good to do some boat work)

I've started yanking/storing all my electronics in the heated garage too

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do the exact same steps as you. I have not fogged my engine in years as this big 225 has plugs that are difficult to get to.

My trolling batteries are underneath the rod locker, and a narrow one battery opening, so removal and replactment is a bitch with my 36 volt. This year I have a big garage on my new house so the boat will be stored in a heated garage, no more 3 hour battery removal for me. In fact I will likely leave everything in the boat(rods, tackle, towels, batteries, etc.) and just trickle charge a couple times this winter.

The lower unit oil is about all I will switch this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Guy the reason to change the lower unit oil in the fall is if there happened to be excessive water in the oil it might expand and bust up gears and stuff.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 stroke or 4 stroke? Sea foam is worthless IMHO. If a 2 stroke fogging the cylinders is a good choice. Best option for fuel is 91 non ethanol premium then any fuel preservative snake oil is not needed as this fuel is mandated by law to have a one year shelf life minimum before breakdown occurs if stored properly. Regular 87-89 ethanol only has a 30 day shelf life before it begins going rancid and regular non ethanol has a 60-90 day shelf life.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes - if you "whistled past the grave yard" this summer and put any ethanol gasoline in your boat GET IT OUT NOW

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never run anything but premium in the boat, lawn mower, auger, snow blower(that I hope to never use love2hunt). The boat only has a 6 gallon tank so well within my wallet's wheelhouse.

It is a two stroke and I'm guessing they could be finicky without doing all this stuff. Guy, I was going to change the lower unit oil next spring until I seen the milky oil. Now it gets done before I take the boat to storage this weekend. I thought about pulling out the anchor ropes and such but have opted to keep them in there. I think I'll throw everything in a tote and keep it in the boat as well. I don't deal with seed eating people very kindly so I usually don't have that problem.

Off to dakota tackle to get supplies. Might have to add some 10Wbuschlight to me while I work on things tonight.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy, I was going to change the lower unit oil next spring until I seen the milky oil. Now it gets done before I take the boat to storage this weekend.

Thumbs Up

as a trained scientific observer you recognized the "milk" as an emulsion of oil/water (suspended micro-droplets of water in the oil)

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couple sequences on the throttle and computer on the engine takes it from that point on. Drop lower unit put new in unhook batteries and put trolling motor and electronics inside.

- - - Updated - - -

Nix the 91 octane. My evinrude calls for 87. Exxon has it in town wo ethanol. You can tell the diff the motor loves the hot stuff.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmm now I wonder about my gas. Last time I filled was at the bait shop at Grahams Island. I dumped in a can of seafoam, took out my depth finders, and put 1 amp battery tenders on all the batteries. The half the garage the boat is in isn't heated, but I have so far never had a mouse in it. If the got in they would sure have a party because there is at least 100 lbs of birdseed in there.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been dumping in stabile prior to last fishing trip and running that through both main motor and kicker. Then I change both lower unit lube and use a new gasket everytime on the plugs. And I do pull the plugs and give a shot of fogging oil into each cylinder, crank the motors a time or two and call it good. Ive been doing it this way for 15 years with my boat and have never had any problems.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always wondered how ###hole mice get into a boat

it's only happened a couple times but it scarred me for life

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always wondered how ###hole mice get into a boat

it's only happened a couple times but it scarred me for life

They use their legs, and climb into the boat. Bats on the other hand fly, they are like mice but with wings

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
should be able to get them at runnings I would imagine. I don't think they are anything special.

- - - Updated - - -

shit, wrong quote. I was talking about the O-rings. my bad

That was a place on my list to stop. I'll swing by macs since its close by too. Maybe run home and grab one of the plugs before I go guessing size. Appreciate it.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
That was a place on my list to stop. I'll swing by macs since its close by too. Maybe run home and grab one of the plugs before I go guessing size. Appreciate it.

mine are clear hard plastic and require a certain torque range - i always go to a dealer or online as they are pennies to purchase. What type of motor do you have?

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get the plug gaskets from dealer.......... River City Sports in Bismarck has always had them on hand when I needed some...never checked online but may find them cheaper online......

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get the plug gaskets from dealer.......... River City Sports in Bismarck has always had them on hand when I needed some...never checked online but may find them cheaper online......

Yup, just got a couple there a few days ago. Think they were about a buck a piece.

So general consensus is that no need to fog a 4 stroke? I always have as my plugs are easy to get to but have heard it both ways. Guessing it can't hurt to do it? I also change the motor oil & filter and the lower unit lube. Usually repack the trailer bearings too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77