shooting VLD's

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Need help. I cannot get vld's to consistently shoot in my 7mm Mag. Have had a few good groups, but cannot get them to duplicate. Any ideas? Have tried Retumbo, H-1000, and H 4831-sc. Rifle is a factory Remington 700, barrel is floated, and trigger adjusted.

dbllung

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe try Nosler Accubond LR. It might just be the gun doesn't like that bullet, regardless of what powder you try..

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot Berger VLD in six different rifles. They all like the bullet about .004 off the lands. Your going to need a bullet comparator to set that up. The hybrids are not as picky, but then they are not a hunting bullet either. Of those six rifles I mentioned none shoot a group larger than 1/2 inch.
Shooting VLD bullets requires a bullet comparator, so you may as well purchase a headspace gauge too. Headspacing to set your shoulder back .001 to .002 will give you two to three times as many reloads from you brass. Compared to the directions that comes with your dies that is.

Last edited:

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot Berger VLD in six different rifles. They all like the bullet about .004 off the lands. Your going to need a bullet comparator to set that up. The hybrids are not as picky, but then they are not a hunting bullet either. Of those six rifles I mentioned none shoot a group larger than 1/2 inch.
Shooting VLD bullets requires a bullet comparator, so you may as well purchase a headspace gauge too. Headspacing to set your shoulder back .001 to .002 will give you two to three times as many reloads from you brass. Compared to the directions that comes with your dies that is.

Not to highjack the thread but, Ghost...does form-fired brass need headspace adjustment? Just curious?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
When the VLD was first introduced in the late 80's Walt would receive reports that the bullets would not shoot well. During this time it was much more common in reloading to jump the bullets. Walt along with many other BR shooters knew that putting a bullet into the rifling could produce improved precision so this is what he recommended to those having trouble with the VLD.

In many rifles this change worked so we started recommending that everyone put the VLD into the lands. This is where the phase "VLDs are not magazine friendly" was born. To seat the bullet out to touch the rifling required a COAL that was too long to feed through the magazine in most rifles.

When shooters reported poor performance when putting the VLDs into the lands we concluded that not all rifles/barrels would shoot the VLDs.

This is where we made our mistake. The thing we ignored was that many shooters were very successful shooting the VLDs with a jump. It just so happened that these folks weren't calling with problems. For years we told folks "jam the VLDs" and that "VLDs are not magazine friendly." Today we know the truth.

The truth is that VLDs ARE sensitive to seating depth. VLDs shoot best in a given "sweet spot." For some this is jammed into the rifling while others find the best precision by jumping the VLD as much as .150.

This truth has become clear to us as the VLD becomes more popular as a game hunting bullet. Hunters with top quality rifles who have never jammed a bullet in their lives (due to problems this can create in the field) are reporting excellent precision. At first we thought this to be a lucky circumstance from those who made initial reports but then we started paying attention to competition shooters who were saying the same thing.

Our current published recommendation is to try the VLD at both .010 into and .010 off of the rifling. We are changing this recommendation. When shooting a VLD you will get the best performance at a COAL somewhere between .020 into the rifling or .150 off of the rifling. It is well worth the effort to find the right spot. If you do this, you will see why VLDs are so popular among those who do.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just had to set different seating depth with ttsx bullets in my 243. My uncle has some gauge we used. Had to split the neck of the case then insert a bullet a little ways. Put the round into the chamber and force the bolt shut to get the correct seating depth. It instantly took my groups from 4 inches to 2 inches with out messing with the powder charge

Last edited:

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just had to set different seating depth with ttsx bullets in my 243. My uncle has some gauge we used. Had to split the neck of the case then insert a bullet a little ways. Put the round into the chamber and force the bolt shut to get the correct seating depth. It instantly took my groups from 4 inches to 2 inches with out messing with the powder charge

Tikka's seem to be long throated. Mine had an extra 3/16th of free bore space in it when I went to SST's. My OAL has my clip maxed out. If you want to shoot cloverleafs, put a good stock on it. Bell and Carlson makes one for Tikkas.

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am currently running .002 jammed, I think I will try backing it out to .005 and see if a little jump helps. I did try .1 and .13 off the lands with out any luck. I also have some RL 22, and 25 I am going to try. Think its worth trying different primers? maybe fed. 215's , currently using cci's?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
.002 jammed isn't likely enough for all of them to be jammed. Go in .010-.015 and see if that doesn't clear things up.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 7mm hated VLDs. In order to get them to shoot I had to run them .006 off the lands but there was no way to get them into the mag. It shot just over an inch. I have since nixed them and run 160 gr Nosler Accubonds .020 off the lands and 59.5 grains of Reloder 19 and match grade Federal primers in federal cases that are fire formed and partially resized. It shoots a three shot group that you can cover with a dime. I have never measured a dime but I would guess its 1/2" MOA or better. Good enough for me. Good luck with your VLDs.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Given that A-max's shoot pretty well wether jumped or jammed, you might give the new Hornady ELD a try. The little bit that they published about it this week would lead one to believe that it's a "hunting A-max".

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
An even slippery amax and if it kills better than the amax I won't even have to shoot critters just show them the bullet and dead. Really looking forward to getting my hands on the 143 6.5 eld-x. With the increase in bc and price point I don't know what not to like.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to highjack the thread but, Ghost...does form-fired brass need headspace adjustment? Just curious?
No, you can neck size only. If you use full length sizing dies and following their directions your perhaps setting back .003 to .005 inches. The problem with not sizing is every once in a while one will chamber very hard and you don't want that happening with mr big in front of you. If you don't have a headspace gauge hold the neck and shoulder over a smoking candle. Then turn your full length die out one full turn. Size and see if the carbon is displaced, if not turn down 1/8 turn and size the same case again and observed. Keep going in 1/8 turns until you contact the candle carbon on the shoulder. Then turn 1/8 turn down and lock your die.

- - - Updated - - -

Given that A-max's shoot pretty well wether jumped or jammed, you might give the new Hornady ELD a try. The little bit that they published about it this week would lead one to believe that it's a "hunting A-max".

They sound like a copy of the Nosler long range Accubond. I would like to get my hands on some 6.5 too.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
No, you can neck size only. If you use full length sizing dies and following their directions your perhaps setting back .003 to .005 inches. The problem with not sizing is every once in a while one will chamber very hard and you don't want that happening with mr big in front of you. If you don't have a headspace gauge hold the neck and shoulder over a smoking candle. Then turn your full length die out one full turn. Size and see if the carbon is displaced, if not turn down 1/8 turn and size the same case again and observed. Keep going in 1/8 turns until you contact the candle carbon on the shoulder. Then turn 1/8 turn down and lock your die.

Why not just use a sharpie to blacken the case? Same goes for physical inspection of land engagement, sharpies seem more convenient than candles and smoke.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

They sound like a copy of the Nosler long range Accubond. I would like to get my hands on some 6.5 too.

Other than the noslers bc was much lower than advertised. I know hornady has had guys out using this bullet on animals and had great results. George Gardnier and the GAP crew have been out in wyoming using it. Sounds like they should be on shelves in force and at $30.00 bucks a hundred i am really liking that

- - - Updated - - -

Why not just use a sharpie to blacken the case? Same goes for physical inspection of land engagement, sharpies seem more convenient than candles and smoke.

Or dont buy one case of beer and get this one of the best investments i have made
31fVQKUDrVL._AA160_.jpg

and one of these for bullet length

31-dhg5E8UL._AA160_.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 88