Oddball question

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having grown up in the 80's I vividly remember the last perch boom of the mid 90's. I've watched spots go from being a soft spot in a field you didn't want to drive through for fear of getting suck to fishing that same spot a couple years later for jumbo perch. Nowadays those spots are no longer shallow yellow perch holes but instear deep water walleye haunts.

My question is have any of you ever open water prefished any of the possible up and coming lakes just before freeze up? So far time has proved that the hot perch lake one year almost never has to do with next year. As it happens a number of the possible good ice fishing lakes this year happen to be in number of bodies of water I also tend to duck hunt most years. Because of this I'm thinking of doing a mutant form of cast and blast well I'm out there. Just have zero idea what open water shore fishing technique might be the most effective to test the water for keeper fish. Do we do a couple lightweight Lindy rigs or perhaps a couple bobbers with small worms or in all odds a combination of both? So like said anyone ever do this or something similar and have any advice?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a good idea. I would run a lindy with a floater if I was searching for perch.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find a ND stocking report and look at what year class it was stocked with perch, also use a light action rod with a jigging spoon with waxies or small minnows. Water should be clear for the most part so if you can bring a underwater camera and save your spot with a gps waypts. The most important things to remember is don't tell anyone what you find

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it was Beminoid on the other site that used to do that with some success.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find a ND stocking report and look at what year class it was stocked with perch, also use a light action rod with a jigging spoon with waxies or small minnows. Water should be clear for the most part so if you can bring a underwater camera and save your spot with a gps waypts. The most important things to remember is don't tell anyone what you find

I think he was talking before freeze up. Set out some decoys throw a rod in the water and sit back and see what happens.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes I'm talking about now. I have poured over the stocking list over and over again doing the math and watching the drainages during spring runoff so as to know where the perch may have spread too to try and deduce what will be the next hot lake before everyone else knows it's the hot lake! Thus why I'm thinking if I'm already there gunning for divers or what not bringing a couple rods per person wouldn't be a horrible idea. But having never fished for perch or really just about anything at this point in time in the year I have no working knowledge of what the best setup, depth or bottom contours would be a good starting point. So because of my lack of realworld knowledge on the subject is the cause of my fishing expedition here.... all pun intended.

Oh and anyone know what the growth rate of a perch in a new lake is? I know there is no set rate and can be extremely variable from Lake to Lake but just trying to get an idea how long it takes a perch to go from egg to 12 inches give or take.

- - - Updated - - -

My gut says to fish them like its first ice..... sense more or less that's exactly where we are, we're just lacking the ice.

Brooks

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
We have had great success from June till November on the slough perch in central Kodak in recent years. Without giving our secrets away this is all I can tell u

- - - Updated - - -

Meant Nodak

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Follow the 'Sconis. If for no other reason to piss them off 'cause it keeps 'em honest.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Follow the 'Sconis. If for no other reason to piss them off 'cause it keeps 'em honest.

Ha-ha reading your post made me laugh. Tell me it wouldn't be fun to round up a bunch of us and head down the whatever body of water is attracting the most of them in and then all of us set up shop within a few feet of them no matter how they are doing. Think it would be entertaining as hell to have for or five truckloads of guys suddenly descend on a group of out of staters out in the middle of a lake all by themselves just to watch them turn red!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56