Smoked Chili Recipe (pic heavy)

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
After some deep thought and careful consideration, I have decided to share my chili recipe and how I cook it. Musky Maniac may have had some influence on my decision so you can thank him. I must show you actually how I cook my chili because I have some very unique tools. Recipe will be here as well.

First thing. Hasty Bake:

131_Powder_3_grande.jpg

My dad has used these grills/smoker for over 30 years. IMO it is the best on the market. The most unique feature is the firebox. You can raise and lower the fire box anywhere you want to cook exactly how you want. The side door also makes it very easy to add charcoal and adjust fire conditions during cooking. I also use natural lump charcoal which is very important to maintain even heat with and it produces a mild smoky flavor.

Second. This pan:
bastingpan_large.jpg

I remove one side of the grates on the Hasty Bake and drop in this pan. In this picture you will also see my A-maze-n tube smoker which I bought from Owens BBQ. It basically turns any grill into a smoker. It gets filled with pellets of your choice and lit with a torch.

IMG_1810.jpg

I do all of the cooking in this pan. I will add that this takes me about 6 hours start to finish. Bacon first to provide the fat to cook the veggies. Then I take it out.

IMG_1755.jpg
In go the veggies minus the garlic so it doesn't burn. Cook them until I feel they are done.
IMG_1756.jpg

Then i pull the veggies out and throw in the meat. I didn't get a pic of the meat being cooked. Sorry.
After the meat is cooked, it's everything back into the pan. Along with all of the other spices, beans, tomatoes, and other ingredients.
IMG_1758.jpg

RECIPE:
This makes A LOT of chili

4 lbs ground beef 80/20
2 lbs ground pork
1 lb bacon (thick cut)
6 (15 oz) cans chili beans, drained
2 (15 oz) cans chili beans in spicy sauce
4 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 (12 oz) can tomato paste
2 large yellow onion chopped
6 stalks celery chopped
2 green bell pepper chopped
2 red bell pepper chopped
4 green chile peppers chopped
8 beef bouillon cubes
1 cup beer (of course I used Busch Light)
1/2 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tables dried oregano
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons KOSHER salt
2 teaspoons black paper (freshly cracked of course)
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons white sugar

As you can see there is a lot of different ingredients in this and it is also just a template for me. I like to adjust seasonings as I go. I let it simmer on the Hasty Bake for about 4 hours with the A-maze-n tube smoker going throughout the entire cooking process. I stir it every 20 minutes during the smoking process to incorporate the smoky goodness. I serve it with Fritos scoops, sour cream, and cheese. I let it sit in the fridge overnight and serve the next day.
Enjoy!

Last edited:

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice pictures Tommyboy, I like how the veggies are neatly organized.

This chili is really good, glad you decided to share.....no reason to keep recipes to yourself. :;:cheers

MT11

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am impressed and thank you for sharing. I will be trying this on my pellet grill.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Okay,you win,lets give'er a try!...sure beats my recipe.burger,canned tomatoes,onion and some spice,call it good on a cold day,but your's looks fantastic.

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
That looks awesome. I really like the looks of that grill too. What kind of smoke do you prefer for this recipe? Thanks for sharing your process!

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
That looks awesome. I really like the looks of that grill too. What kind of smoke do you prefer for this recipe? Thanks for sharing your process!

For this batch I used a mix of pecan and cherry wood. I have used hickory and oak as well.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks tasty thanks for sharing. I'm drooling like my lab right now.

percher

Founding Member
Founding Member
so if i wanted to feed 5 or 6 people or close to that should i 1/4 the recipe or 1/2 it?

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
so if i wanted to feed 5 or 6 people or close to that should i 1/4 the recipe or 1/2 it?

Just like the blues man said. Make it all (or half) and freeze the rest. I fill foil pans about 1-1/2" deep with the leftovers and freeze it. Once frozen, I cut it up into "slabs" and vacuum seal it like that. Then when you want just a bit, pull out a smaller slab and boil it right in the vacuum sealed bag. Pour into a bowl and eat it like it is your job!
:;:cheers

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pizza cutter if you don't have a fancy LL?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77