coywolf

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Coywolf: New coyote-wolf hybrid sees explosion in numbers
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...ybrid-sees-explosion-in-numbers-a6717151.html
http://www.coywolf.org/coywolf-basic-info/

coywolf — a hybrid of the coyote and the wolf that is also known as the Eastern coyote The Economist, their population seems to have reached more than a million. Their genes are about one-quarter wolf DNA and two-thirds coyote DNA; the rest is from domesticated dogs. A 2013 study suggests this dog DNA is mostly from a few specific breeds, including German Shepherds and Doberman Pincers. Usually hybrids — even between two closely related species — don't survive as well as their parent species, but the coywolves seem to be an exception. They've only really emerged in force during the last few decades, but they seem to have a few advantages over their parent species

Last edited:

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Humans have created", lol you're watching too many liberalized PBS documentaries.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd like to see some of them make their way to ND / SD. An 80 pounder would make a sweet pelt for the wall. Although I'd probably hesitate on the trigger wondering if it's a small wolf and if the G&F is going to string me up.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the Drs explanation of the 'misconceptions'. It's the same ones I always hear around here about coyotes.

Farmer Frank: "There's A LOT of them around. I saw one Tuesday, and Rancher Jim saw one two weeks ago"
Me: (eye roll)

badland mule

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother in law tells me that they are in the turtle mountains on the Canadian side.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend of mine and myself were cruising around saturday and he shot a nice dog off the road. The pelt was very nice and he was fat and heavy. Didnt weigh him but i would venture a guess that it was a 35 lber or better.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
We DON'T want them here. They are bigger, but pelt wise are worthless compared to our western pales. They have thick pubic hair for a coat whereas ours are nice and silky.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Starting to hear more and more about these things. Hope they don't start to become our problem too.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any thing involved with wolves suck. The wolves reintroduction is one of the worst travesty committed

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
a 45lb coyote is HUGE! that's all i got to say about that.

Right, out of the 79 I shot last year the biggest male was 39 lbs. I'd have to see the scale with my own eyes to believe anyone when I hear about a 50lb coyote being shot, I've never seen one out of the thousand or so I've shot.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76