"stillhunting" binocs?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any recommendations for a nice small light set of binocs that one can wear while stillhunting? I'm not looking for glassing miles of canyon sidehills or long 500-1000 yd prairie horizons, just something to peer ahead 50-200 yds conveniently if I think I see a buck laying in the aspen, etc. Something very slim, non-bulky and 8-ish power?

It would be a bonus if the focus and eye-spread on the dang thing is resistant to moving too! I HATE bringing them up and finding that they've moved. ;:;banghead

thanks boys (and girls?)

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
71Ad-dgFYOL._SY355_.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
at this point I would normally read you the riot act about the usual jerkoffs ruining the seriousness of this web site

but I don't think Juanr has fully recovered from the trauma of the last one - so you're lucky and I'll let that slide Duck

funny-long-term-relationship-barbie-ken-toilet-brushing-teeth-pics.jpg

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have last generations Scheels Paragon HD's and I think they have been great for the money. Maybe a little bigger than what you want though. I've never had a problem carrying them around with the harness that came with them.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive had my eye on the cabelas euro's for awhile now

how do you get anything done? is it blocking any of your vision? your statement intrigues me. please follow up.

MT11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look into the gold ring leupold compacts with autofocus. I am not sure if they make them anymore as my brothers pair is 90's model. Fit in a shirt pocket, good in lowlight, and autofocus.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
how do you get anything done? is it blocking any of your vision? your statement intrigues me. please follow up.

they're in my peripheral, so im still able to function while keeping an indirect eye on them.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 8X32 Meopta Meostar that I looked through I thought were better than Swarovski at half the price. I just bought 10X42 Vortex Razors and I am still wondering if I should have bought the Meopta.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
where are these "aspens" you speak of? you going on a trip? i'm no help on binoculars. i still have a damn $40 walmart pair from college. i've got $1200 in scheels dollars burning a hole in my dresser drawer though. so, i will be following this thread closely. they are going towards binos, a spotting scope or an AR. optics don't do me much good though when i can't draw a deer tag and will only get a buck about ever 5-7 years these days. but, whatev... carry on. let us know what you decide to pull the trigger on an why though... please.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF turned me on to the Cabela's Euro HD 10x42 and I am very happy with them. They normally run 1,200 but a couple months ago they had them on sale for 900, plus you got 100 Cabela's bucks. Not sure if they are still on sale or not, but well worth the money.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
where are these "aspens" you speak of? you going on a trip?

western ND, and Devils Lake, sandhills all have patches of trembling aspen ("poplar"). if you hunt morels you tend to take note of that species. I'll be hunting in the Killdeer area. my eyes just aren't what they used to be so I want very convenient "glance" capability.

yes LOV2, SDMF was kind enough to let me know about that fantastic Euro deal too - but after wrestling with it I decided I didn't need a "large" pair - but rather a very compact pair I can walk a lot in, bowhunt with, have on my chest along with grunt/bleat calls, etc.

basically a set of "opera" binocs?

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
western ND, and Devils Lake, sandhills all have patches of trembling aspen ("poplar"). if you hunt morels you tend to take note of that species. I'll be hunting in the Killdeer area. my eyes just aren't what they used to be so I want very convenient "glance" capability.

yes LOV2, SDMF was kind enough to let me know about that fantastic Euro deal too - but after wrestling with it I decided I didn't need a "large" pair - but rather a very compact pair I can walk a lot in, bowhunt with, have on my chest along with grunt/bleat calls, etc.

basically a set of "opera" binocs?

I'm looking for the same thing. Scheels is having a 1 day sale Thursday and there were a couple of
the Scheels outfitter binoculars on sale.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which brands in general come out of the jacket/vest with no variability from the last time? I loathe fidgeting every time time I pull them up to check something. ;:;banghead

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find it funny u want a small pair for what u are doing. I guess the weight of binoculars has never bothered me. I'm not old and gray like u tho. Or maybe don't have as much money! :;:rockit

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like my Leupold Mojave binos. They are fairly small, I wear them all the time while hunting, and they don't bother with me while shooting a bow or rifle.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking for the same thing. Scheels is having a 1 day sale Thursday and there were a couple of
the Scheels outfitter binoculars on sale.

Not to hijack this thread but this morning on TV channel 11 was doing a live remote at Scheel's with all the latest and greatest deer hunting clothing and accessories etc...Soooooo.. I guess there are now hand warmers(pouch style) where not only can you keep your hands warm but also a velcro'd pocket to keep your smart phone...even has a clear..so they said..plastic so you are able to take pics while in the pocket. Really now??? is that what hunting has come to???..cripes I must be getting old cuz I thought hunting was about getting out in nature WITHOUT any of the distractions of everyday life! Rant over;:;rant

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am guessing you are referring mainly to undesired diopter adjustment and interpupillary distance changes and still want center focus adjustment binoculars rather than individual eyepiece focus binoculars.... Vortex (and other brands as well) make models with locking diopter adjustment and Vortex makes a hinge lock Binoc-Loc add on fitting at least some of its models (may work on other brands as well) that 'locks' interpupillary distance adjustment (once set apparently preventing narrowing but not necessarily widening as apparently shown in video). There is a Youtube video called "Handle Binoculars Better With One Hand". I have no personal experience with any Vortex products. CameralandNY.com is one resource/source...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67