Leech Lake Knifes

Madbigdog2003

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone using a Leech Lake Knife, been looking on the internet for a good fillet knife, and these knives keep coming up...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
FBO had about a 20 page discussion on these knives, the consensus was all positive. I do not own one, as I use an electric for the most part. The guys that did use them swore them to be well worth the price tag.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was up at Lake of the Woods 6 weeks ago, and 2 guides used Leech Lake knives, and 1 used an electric knife. The guides using the Leech Lake knives out cleaned the 1 using the electric knife. They both cleaned 2 fish to his 1. They sharpened them with a Work Sharp knife sharpener, and said if you got them to sharp it would cut through the backbone very easy. Said they wouldn't use any other knife.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Their knives are legendary. Don't cut your fingers off using one, the tips are razor sharp on both sides.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
lunk, you're the only one I've ever seen have a negative comment on these knives.

To the OP, get one so you can pass it along to your kids.

Mocha

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had one for about 10 years but I also have an electric. My electric gets 99% of the work but the LL is by far the best non-electric that I have ever owned over the last 30 years. IMHO

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I not giving a negative review, I have an old Schrade UH 167 12", with bone handle fillet knife that my grandpa gave me, it holds a edge longer when going through bigger fish like a northern. The leech lake blade is more flexible than my Schrade which I don't care for as much as a knife with a thicker blade. I still sharpen my knives with a stone, the leech lake is such a beautiful knife I would hate to see what would happen if I scratched the finish off. The leech lake knife tip is sharpened on both sides, the Schrade UH 167 12" is not which I like. I got it for Christmas from my grandma lol I was always using the Schrade knife. My leech lake knife is dated 2005 on the side, beautiful shiny blade. The leech lake knife is sharp enough to shave hair of your arm, but so can my grandpa's old Schrade knife.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of my fishing buddies has a folder and regular Leech Lake knife. He easily can keep up with my other buddies electric knife and does a great job. Rarely needs to be sharpened. Never needs to look for a power source or worry about battery life. Barring losing it those knives will outlast many electrics.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeah - most commercial "fileters" who can do it all day long and do it fast use those no-name white delrin handled knives that look cheap (dexter? cutco?) but obviously get the job done

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
what is the purpose of the tip sharpened on both edges? other than to surely cut myself

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, the back side of the tip is designed to cut through the scales on the first cut into the fish. The regular side does the rest of the work. Idea behind it is that cutting through the scales on the first cut is what does most of the dulling of the knife blade. Keeps the main edge sharper longer.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, the back side of the tip is designed to cut through the scales on the first cut into the fish. The regular side does the rest of the work. Idea behind it is that cutting through the scales on the first cut is what does most of the dulling of the knife blade. Keeps the main edge sharper longer.

cool. makes sense

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a LL knife for Christmas a couple years ago. It's one of my prized possession. Has a home in the kitchen drawer and I use it only there...never stored it in the truck or tackle box.

Which, I suppose is the downside of a LL: They're so purdy you don't want to wreck them! On the other hand, the little Rapala fillet knife my dad bought me when I was 5 has been to hell and back and can still strip down a potato-chip gill in 30 seconds flat.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
For what its worth.

Four of us do alot of fish cleaning together and have various guests come thru the door. We share knives and have about 7 Cutco, 3 Leach Lake and a couple of Wusthof. The consensus is Wusthof. When ever any guests are around and use the Wusthof they go away with "thats what I am going to buy next". I plan on picking a another one up this winter.

ND58201

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a LL Knife but rarely use it. They do a great job and keep an edge but I ALWAYS end up cutting myself on the sharp backend. Cheap rapala knife is what I usually use.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77