Ice Reel

Chuckmain

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are some of your favorite ice fishing reels? Just bought a new rod now i need a nice reel to go with it!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will agree it's really all about the money price. There are lots of decent reels pfluger, shimano, mitchell, 13, quantum, or a house brand ( scheels, bass pro, cabelas, gander mountain) I strongly suggest you go to a sporting goods store where they carry many different styles and brands of reels.

Scheels in Fargo is one such store usually the upper price reels will be behind a display case. I don't test the ones on the display because they have been handled by lots of different people. I ask for one straight out of the box also if that is the reel you choose to buy have the salesman bring you three of that model, tighten drag as far as possible don't break it put hand on reel to make sure the spool is tight no wobble, spin reel with anti lock off when you reel back and forth you will be able to tell if there is any play in the assembly. Then repeat the process two more times. Better reels more money usually mean quality.

You can get opinions from here but you have to put them in your hands to know for sure. I know my credibility is unknown to you but my opinion is based on knowledge of experience that would shown to me from a salesman from a small sporting goods store in Detroit Lakes. They had all high end reels in display case which he found to be the best for example to show the better quality of each model. As always if I did not like the reel he would refund me full price regardless if it was used is 30 days. He was a good salesman knowledgeable, honest, and fair. Happy hunting

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tica Cetus is the best I have used. They are designed for ice fishing and even contain low temp grease.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I have a wicked ice reel from 13 fishing somebody can have. It is a pile of shit.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tica Cetus is the best I have used. They are designed for ice fishing and even contain low temp grease.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I have a wicked ice reel from 13 fishing somebody can have. It is a pile of shit.
I second the tica cetus,

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started using the inline reels with no bail. I like them because I get no line twist which sucks because your bait will do slow turns. I put a swivel on all my poles to, including the inline. I used this reel all winter and once I got use to it I like them.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a quantum energy reel 05 that is so smooth, I have to keep my hand around the handle becuase when I jig it will want to reel it self up. My supremes are nice to but those quantums 05s got it.
Quantum 05 $_3.JPG$_3.JPG

Pflueger Supreme 9225xt This is the discontinued model but still a nice reel

http://fishingcastle.com/products/Pflueger-Supreme-XT-Spinning-Reels.html

Pflueger_5__88646_zoom.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I started using the inline reels with no bail. I like them because I get no line twist which sucks because your bait will do slow turns. I put a swivel on all my poles to, including the inline. I used this reel all winter and once I got use to it I like them.
Have you used them in deep water I mean 30+

Last edited:

MT11

Founding Member
Founding Member
image.jpg

The 13 teardrop paired with a nice rod is the only high priced reel I have ever tried but I really like it. The rest of my experience is with the cheap shit.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
whammer-01.jpg

The 13 teardrop paired with a nice rod is the only high priced reel I have ever tried but I really like it. The rest of my experience is with the cheap shit.

I always wondered about ice build up if I used it outside also the ice around devils is high in salinity so I wonder about corrosion from being completely enclosed spool. MT11 tell us more about your fish experience with this reel.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for this. I can mark the 13 off my list as I'm shopping for a couple of reels.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the cetus as well. Had a couple before some jackwagon made off with all my gear. Decided to go with the sienna's as there was a 10% off deal on them.

MT11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Compared to my other reels, ice build up issues are a little worse but not a complete show stopper. I am using the same mono line on all poles except one which I have braided on and it is awful for icing up. However I usually jump around using a flip over so if icing up is really bothering me I turn on the heater.
Havent fished DL so I can't help you there but it does fine at Sak and FP.
The teardrop is just smooth and more smooth when dropping LW jigs to heavier spoons and the drag is top notch. Like I said above the rest of my reels are cheap stuff.

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you use a rod bag or such, a folding handle can be a plus. Some have a quick folding or 'one button' handle as well.

Myk Lund

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am also a big fan of Tica Cetus SS500. Also comes in SE500 SB500. Not sure what the difference is other than color. Super smooth drags. Can't go wrong with the Shimano either. Shimano is known for having great gears. I have several for open water. Never fail.

HomeSlice

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im in the market for a new reel. I have TUCR coming in the mail and not sure what to pair it up with.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im in the market for a new reel. I have TUCR coming in the mail and not sure what to pair it up with.

which tucr did you go with? I have a precision and power precision. The thorn bro rods dont even come out of the rod box anymore.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75